Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Got a BMW diff? - check your bolts

adz

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CC have been in touch re my factory manufactured June 2011 Roadsport. The car had chisel-like 'witness marks' and dents in the De Dion tube. The brake pipe running on the top of this had been flattened. Earlier, I posted pictures of the De Dion and the brake pipe (see above). CC propose to install the new pattern carrier, new brake pipes of a different design and they have said they will do further checks on the tube. They seem confident that the new carrier will prevent further contact between it and the tube. I hope to collect the car next week.

Excellent news pmobbs. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of your reworked diff and De Dion.

Based on email from James Gibson, I'm optimistic that CC are going to resolve this appropriately. Presumably, there are some logistical issues to sort out before they make some kind of public statement (like stock piling a significant number of new design level cages).

I fitted my dedion into my new car today - I have the modified diff carrier. While t was just attached to the radius arms I lifted it to see if it could contact anything and it hit the diff casing before it was high enough to reach the countersunk bolts. I'll carry on bolting it in properly tomorrow and try again to see where it touches.

James is currently out the office, I know because I tried to phone him yesterday. ( because his email inbox is full )

When my diff carrier failed it has allowed the propshaft to move forwards. My propshaft has been grinding on the tailpiece of the gearbox. The oil seal is now bust and I'm losing oil at a rate of knots from the gearbox tail. so it looks like diff out again to get to the oil seal.

BUT, one of the threaded bosses on my carrier wasn't welded on straight and the bolt cross threaded when I bolted the carrier in. It''s torqued up, but I dont know how many times it's safe to keep bolting and unbolting it before the thread gives up.

Joy joy joy.

Adam

Well, I have to say hats off to CC for service.

I told them about my oil seal woes, expecting at best to recieve a replacement seal ( self build car, out of warranty)

The next day a van turns up to take the car away so that CC can replace the seal then deliver the car back again.

So hurrah!

Adam

Just had a good look at the diff and cage in my Supersport (1800 miles, 2nd Diff installed at 1100 miles). No marks on the Dedion but both the bolts on the side holding the diff to the cage were loose (one was very loose). Tightened them both up and checked all the other bolts. Having already had an issue with a clonking first diff (and 2nd is only slightly better) which is irritating I'm really not happy to now to regularly have to climb under the car to make sure its not falling apart. Based on what I'm reading here I can't understand why CC aren't contacting owners. I will certainly be contacting them on Monday. Thank goodness for BC.

Andrew

ADZ, that is excellent news, have you had an update as to what they are doing with rectification and timeframe as we understood there are no Carriers?

For all ,I have had a response from the CEO and the bottom line is that he will not commit to a timeframe for a fix? and will communicate when he is ready.

I am with Andrew in this, why have they not been communicating with owners - unless like me they have they have complained.

If they have a fix for race cars how come they do not have a fix for us roadies?

Why do we have to chase when they should be leading this.

Despite assurances that its not dangerous.....whose driving...

I feel like Mr Grumpy old man...I have just had a lengthy discussion re the drip drip oil leak from the faulty oil seal when I built the car so I didnt need to get into another discussion but as we can all see - its major and affects a lot of people!

Again bearing in mind this is on a very open forum you would think that they would be more proactive.

The goods news is, SYD beckons for a few weeks.

I find the whole situation very disappointing, I have taken the diff out four times now. I was hoping that the BMW diff was the solution but it just appears to be another problem. I have covered 2,800 miles in the 3 years from a new kit. I am still looking forward to just getting in the car and going for a drive without having to think is something going to go wrong. I, like others, wonder why racers get sorted and us roadies do not. Come on CC please sort this out.

Is the sierra diff going to be offered as an upgrade now *rolleyes*

Caterham: I have emailed you at two different email addresses (parts being one) about the temp sender lasting less than 12 months. You are still to reply. I then emailed saying that if I get no reply then my business goes elsewhere. It now looks like this is what I will be doing.

Caterham, your poor communication is letting you down and you will be loosing people!

Apparently I need a new gearbox and propshaft *eek*, I didn't think there was that much damage, but if CC are doing it then ....

So this is turning into an expensive and time consuming repair, all for the sake of a couple of washers.

adam