Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Got a BMW diff? - check your bolts

adz

Collected mine today. It took a day and a half. New diff plate is in. All looks good. Seemed to run quieter on the 50 mile run back south. I did not argue for a replacement De Dion. As far as I can see nothing more has happened to it since the diff carrier was changed and as they argued when I did raise it earlier on, the damage is cosmetic. For me this is the end of the saga....I hope.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting diggerman: 
Mines booked in the Catmids next Wednesday. They reckon it will take a couple of hours. I'm waiting for it!

Peter

I'd be interested to hear how you got on and how long they actually take please?

I've had a reply from Graham MacDonald, he confirms that the Di Dion is not being replaced but based on his e mail reply he has offered me a 3 year extended warranty on the Di Dion tube, I think he has set a precedent don't you? Get your e mails off to him. I still feel the Di Dion should have been replaced no matter how small the damage; due to a design fault on CC part another part of our cars has been damaged (proven) and what other manufacturer would not replace that part? My other gripe is that they are giving precedence to owners who are having their work done at Caterham Mids & South! I am having mine done at Kenrick's along, I know, with a few others. Why should we be discriminated against because we live a distance away from them? We've waited long enough! This whole saga has been handled dreadfully by CC and I hope they have learnt something from it, but I fear not. Even though the work will hopefully be done in the next few weeks, I am still left feeling frustrated and un appreciated as a customer. TIME TO UP YOUR GAME MR MACDONALD!

• Area Representative

Hi

I had my new diff plate and new diff carrier fitted at Caterham Midland yesterday. It took around 4 hours. The installation seems fine. Service was friendly and professional and the technician talked me through the work carrier out. All in all a good experience.

Ivan

Posted - 8 August 2013 22:10        

report this post

Quoting diggerman: 

Mines booked in the Catmids next Wednesday. They reckon it will take a couple of hours. I'm waiting for it!

Peter

I'd be interested to hear how you got on and how long they actually take please?

Took car today. Went in to workshop at 8.30 and came back from road test at 12.00. Great service and plenty of coffee while I waited. Great job Simon!

Peter

No dates for availability of parts in Scotland. just "will let you now when we get parts, don't book in with Dreadnought", I am chasing James weekly but the message is the same and August slips away. So if I want to trail the car 400 miles, I might get a run this Summer ... Would be interested if anyone is getting anything outside of their Mids and South bases. They don't seem to be able to organise an adequate production run of parts and seem to be dripping them into the supply chain about a year after they first became aware of the problem. No other manufacturer would get away with it.

Hi Phillip, could not agree more and have stated so many times! I now have been contacted by Eirlys at Kenrick's in Llangollen, N Wales & James from CC, that the parts are with her. I have my car booked in for October as that is the earliest we could do it with shift work etc etc. I could not believe that CC were looking after the owners that had their cars booked in with CC first and others referred to as 'self fitters' second. Hence, as I have NOT had a reply to my latest e mail to Mr Mac Donald, I have attached it below for your information, It would seem we have the same frustrations.........how many more? PLEASE NOTE, I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A 3 YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY ON MY (DAMAGED) DI DION TUBE. I DO BELIVE THAT A PRECEDENT HAS BEEN SET, GET YOUR E MAILS OFF TO MR MAC DONALD FOR THE SAME COVER. I AM STILL OF THE OPINION THAT DAMAGED DI DION'S SHOULD HAVE/SHOULD STILL BEEN REPLACED!

MY E MAIL TO MR MAC DONALD DATED 9TH AUGUST

Mr Mac Donald,

Thank you for reply and your attention.

I have now received the 'new' letter which is a copy of the one we received a few months ago asking us to book in for the work to be done from 1st July! I note that the date has been left off this letter the original of which, was actually sent out on 8th May, so we had heard nothing since this date until I contacted you, surely that's not good enough?

I still feel it is completely wrong that a part that has been damaged, due to faulty design on your part, is not being replaced. However, I do appreciate the offer of the 3 year extended warranty, I assume from the date my work is carried out. BUT STILL NO OFFER OF ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION?

I also note that customers who are having their work carried out at other authorised dealers, as in my case, (Kenrick's) are having to wait longer as "parts for fitting at an agent or for 'self fitting' will be available shortly". MORE BLOODY FRUSTRATION! Why can't those parts be sent out to other authorised dealers at the same time parts are delivered to CC Mids & South? We surely have the same rights?

For your information, below is a post that I have just placed on the Lotus 7 club forum. This whole sorry saga has, as I say, I feel, been handled dreadfully by CC due to mainly non existent communications with their customers. I certainly hope that lessons have been learnt.

LOTUS 7 CLUB FORUM POST

I've had a reply from Graham MacDonald, he confirms that the Di Dion is not being replaced but based on his e mail reply he has offered me a 3 year extended warranty on the Di Dion tube, I think he has set a precedent don't you? Get your e mails off to him. I still feel the Di Dion should have been replaced no matter how small the damage; due to a design fault on CC part another part of our cars has been damaged (proven) and what other manufacturer would not replace that part? My other gripe is that they are giving precedence to owners who are having their work done at Caterham Mids & South! I am having mine done at Kenrick's along, I know, with a few others. Why should we be discriminated against because we live a distance away from them? We've waited long enough! This whole saga has been handled dreadfully by CC and I hope they have learnt something from it, but I fear not. Even though the work will hopefully be done in the next few weeks, I am still left feeling frustrated and un appreciated as a customer. TIME TO UP YOUR GAME MR Mac DONALD!

END

Regards,

Mark Hyde.

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine done by Robert Kenrick last week, it was the first one he'd done. New cage and a new flatter cast and machined ally back plate for the diff. Has 'CATERHAM' in raised letters on the back of the casting. Suppose its a bit lighter that the iron one that came off.

Couldn't say how long it took as he also flat floored the car as well.

Caterham called yesterday to say that the my parts had been sent to Dreadnought. I am booked in first week in October. Parts supply seems to be drifting North. Can anyone help me with how the BMW Diff and the new backplate "breathes" ? I have had an issue with significant oil loss through the driveshaft seals under pressue when the diff is warmed . I am hoping to get this resolved when the diff is out.