Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

camcoating exhausts

Richard J Darnell

I am thinking of having my new exhaust camcoated satin black inside and out.

My main motive for doing so is because it will look nice and will remove the need for polishing.

However I also understand that there is a performance advantage - something to do with keeping the under bonnet temperature down + hot gases flowing faster?

Has anyone got experience of camcoat, good or bad?

Can anyone back-up camcoat's performance claim or does it just look nice!

Does the finish last or will it chip/peel off over time?

Has anyone got any pictures of camcoated exhausts?

its pretty, easy to maintain, stays very cool (you can *hold* the manifold 5 minutes after stopping) and is pretty resilient.

The bit of my exhaust that is perpendicular to the direction of travel has chipped a bit but the undercoat stuff seems to be holding up fine. It may only have go chipped during a slight gravel excursion at a track as it doesn't sem to be getting any worse.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Although I didn't use Camcoat I did get my exhaust coated (by Zircotec). The slight power increase will be more noticeable if you have an air inlet under the bonnet as a normal K does. Daves BDR has a scoop from outside so most of its air supply is cold anyway.

I only got the pipes coated as far as the side skin of the car, the underbonnet bit still looks as good as the day it was done so it appears to be durable and stable etc. Although I've only coated for a year now (3000miles).

BC

This is an interesting thread as I am thinking of doing something like this. Camcoat are only up the road in Warrington which is quite convienient.

How much would a black 4-1 ( long primaries) Caterham exhaust & silencer be to have cleaned & cam coated? I think as well as looking good on my black & yellow car, I like the idea of no polishing & corrosion to the stainless steel. How does the camcoat cope with flying stones etc?

I've been quoted £105 (including VAT) + postage&packing.

This covers the cost of camcoating the pipes but not the silencer.

I also have a yellow car and agree black and yellow look good together.

However, I'm now changing my mind due to cost and the fact I can get the exhaust polished "to look like chrome" for £20.

I do not have the "black pack" so chrome is probably more in keeping with my car.

see camcoat's website at http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/Exhausts.htm

To answer my own question, I phoned Camcoat up. They quoted the following, for a 4-1 caterham race exhaust with the long primaries to be black coated:

£94 for primaries (outside), + 30% for insides

£20 for collector (outside)

£40 for silencer

plus VAT, currently 1-2 weeks. the chap said they are doing loads of Cats & Westies at the moment. I will have a think, as £200 is quite a lot for a mainly cosmetic change. having the inside of teh primaries done in addition is the best way to get any small performance improvements.

He also said they 'are getting quite good at cleaning the insides', so he didnt rule out coating the insides on a used exhaust.

Does any one have any pictures of a black exhaust on a 7?

Edited by - TomB on 5 Nov 2002 19:23:58