Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

brake fluid leaking from master cylinder

Garth

Opened my bonnet recently to discover brake fluid everywhere. This was not long after my CC service (including brake fluid change) and a track day. Paint work has been damaged. CC's say fluid sometimes leaks from the cap! I did not have any problems before they changed the fluid even on the track. My view is that CC have messed up and I should push for them to sort out the damage?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks

Garth

Edited by - Garth on 29 Sep 2012 10:58:47

They have probably filled it right to the brim with fresh fluid and the heat from the brakes and cornering forces from your recent trackday have thrown the excess everywhere. Did they or you change pads recently as well? I always recheck the level after a pad change or if I've fiddled with the pistons, as the level can change. I've had a similar issue with a leaky cap, but my car is a battered old racer, so I'm not too fussed about the paint. Hope you get a good outcome. *thumbup*

• Area Representative

I had a similar problem with my master cylinder leaking during a track day. I wrapped a cloth around it to stop the fluid spreading any further.

I fitted another rubber washer to ensure a good seal and it hasn't leaked since.

Thanks for the comments - will check the level again - should be low if they filled it to the correct level given the amount that must have come out! Then a trip back to Dartford to show CC. There were two rubber washers in the cap - I took one out and then Stuart from Premier Power wrapped some tissue around the cap and secured it with a cable tie.

Out of interest - why does this issue seem to be related to the AP master cylinder? Looking at the pictures of the standard part, and the racing part, the plastic tanks seem to be identical parts. So, why would one be more prone to leaking than the other?

Or is it just that people with race master cylinders are more likely to go racing?

std here AP here

Quoting billyboanerges: 
My master cylinder spills fluid if over-filled. I keep it at a level where the warning light just flashes under rapid acceleration, any more fluid and it leaks - maybe the cap.

Tony

Same here - at least the occasional flashinh warning light assures me it's working!

Richy

Quoting ParsleyTheLion: 
Out of interest - why does this issue seem to be related to the AP master cylinder? Looking at the pictures of the standard part, and the racing part, the plastic tanks seem to be identical parts. So, why would one be more prone to leaking than the other?

Or is it just that people with race master cylinders are more likely to go racing?

std here AP here

Same problem with standard m/c. Even with the race cap. Don't fill to max limit. And wipe often post-fluid change.

Jez