Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

smokey engine,,please advise

steve anning

Guy's Can you offer any advise on this one for me

Caterham 7 Classis Crossflow 1700 ford 1989

Coming back from L& Brighton I noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet,

I've noticed it for months be it seemed to be getting worse so I thought I

better have a look, since I've had her ,18 months she's used a bit of oil,

not a lot but enough for me to check it every week or so, anyway it appears that the smoke is coming from the rocker cover cap

There doesn't apprear to be any access smoke coming from the Exhaust and the engine it self sound fine

what do you think ?

Guy's Can you advise when you get a min

steve

Colonel Bogie *wink* all done in the best possible taste..

It's quite common for XFlows to become smokey, as the Zetec boys are only too happy to point out. It's most likely to be "blow-by" because the piston rings are past their best. If the engine still produces good power and the oil consumption is reasonable, you can keep driving it. With a bit of luck you could keep going for quite a while, but eventually it will be rebore time.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Steve,

Interestingly enough my similar aged Super Sprint started the same smoking this weekend. I noticed that it stops once the engine is really hot (no oil left!) and is worse after the car has not been driven for a while. Oil pressure is still good and there are no disturbing rattles or other noises to speak of.

I now have to decide whether a winter rebuild is due, cos there's no point doing just the rings, or run it until the bitter end and get at least another season out of it.

Its a bit disconcerting sitting at the traffic lights with smoke emanating from the bonnet grills though - must make sure that extingusher is still OK!

Suspect another season is most likely as I wanted to do the suspension this winter.

New7er

Steve,

Interestingly enough my similar aged Super Sprint started the same smoking this weekend. I noticed that it stops once the engine is really hot (no oil left!) and is worse after the car has not been driven for a while. Oil pressure is still good and there are no disturbing rattles or other noises to speak of.

I now have to decide whether a winter rebuild is due, cos there's no point doing just the rings, or run it until the bitter end and get at least another season out of it.

Its a bit disconcerting sitting at the traffic lights with smoke emanating from the bonnet grills though - must make sure that extingusher is still OK!

Suspect another season is most likely as I wanted to do the suspension this winter.

New7er

Steve,

I can't recommend any additives as I haven't used any. I was told that synthetic oils don't produce as much smoke when they burn, and they do have very low wear rates, so that might make you feel better. A compression check might be a good idea, because if one cylinder is bad then you may have a broken ring. Do you want to come round one evening/weekend to check it out?

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Thanks Oliver, I'd like to take you up on that offer, I must confess I have a worry that I just might have a broken ring and the thought of the ring gouging a grove in to the cylinder doesn’t bare thinking about, I can make to any evening from 4.30 onwards

I only live in High Wycombe so that’s no problem, the sooner the better for me

steve

They all do that. Its a question of "how much" though. The oil filler cap has a vent built in to allow for breathing, and that's where it will come from if you don't have a separate breather. The older they get, the more they will breathe. Eventually, you will lose a lot of power this way and will need a rebuild, but breathing isn't a sign of imminent failure, it is just the way they are.

How many miles has it done? Is it in standard tune with the standard pistons? Some people will say they only last 20,000 miles before needing a rebuild, others have engine that have gone for 45,000 before a rebuild. (Mine's just been rebuilt after 45,000 miles, but it was breathing very heavily indeed).

Anthony

Thanks for that Anthony, no she's not bad and the preformance is good so maybe it's the norm , I see your from Leeds, how much did the rebuild cost and were did you get it done,

Oliver, got your message on my mobile will try to ring you later

puremalt

how much did the rebuild cost, what did they replace ? were did you get it done , did they do a good job, how long did it take them to do.

as you may have guessed, I'm thinking of getting it done.

My mileage is 18,000 for a 1989

I thought being over 12yrs old maybe this wasn’t the true mileage, but if there all a bit like it maybe it is !

Edited by - steve anning on 11 Nov 2002 09:31:53

Thanks for you time Oliver, I rang Roger King this morning and booked her in for a general check and tune up, I told him about the compression reads we got, after a pause his comments were, “your engine is in a bad way”, then he went on to say that you need to have the throttle full open to get a true reading, the reading should be in the 200’s. Anyway, she’s booked in for the 21/11 so I’ll let you know the outcome

Hope to see you at the next Penn meet if not before

steve

Out of curiosity, what compression readings did you get. I would have thought that a reading above 170psi would indicate other problems as that is about 11atm. And providing that they are even - no cylinders significantly below the others - that the engine should be OK.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Graham

The readings we were getting were from the front of the engine working to the back

1st 105, 2nd 85, 3rd 75, 4th 85 (hence the call to Roger King)

tested one at a time with all remaing plugs in and turning the engine over by the starter motor

Steve - sounds like a possible method problem...

compression tests should be carried out hot with all plugs out so the starter motor is only trying to get compression on the one cylinder. The slower the starter motor the lower the compression due to the overlap on the cam timing.

Also ensure that the top of the compression tool is securely screwed into the spark plug hole as this was a cause on a minor panic for me a couple of years ago. In the time taken to get back to the ignition key, the tool had partially unscrewed itself.

Finally use the starter motor for the same number of compressions (I normally count 10 coughs).

If you are lucky, this may remove the need for the visit - otherwise good luck.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!