Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow not running well

MonkeyBoy

Hi all,

I’ve finally got my rebuilt x-flow and running on the road, unfortunately it’s not running very smoothly at the moment. Under load on light throttle the car seems to splutter a lot, lose power and the carbs spit a lot, however if I put my foot down I can drive through it. Although this does happen at lower speeds it is most noticeable when cruising about 60-70mph and it’s almost impossible to keep a constant speed using light throttle as the car splutters so I have to use more throttle and accelerate for a bit then back off.

I read that carb spitting is due to running lean so I gave the mixture screws quarter of a turn richer but made no difference. I’m wondering if I need to back off the advance a little bit, I can try that tonight. I’m also getting a lot of exhaust popping but since I have a minor leak where the primaries meet the main exhaust it’s not that surprising. Any ideas gratefully received

Many thanks

Alistair

Quoting OliverSedlacek: 
Cruising at 60-70 mpg isn't going to be affected by the idle mixture screws or the carb balance. My suspicion would be a manifold air leak, and I would check that the carbs aren't either too loose or too tight against their mounting rubbers.

I think you will find that is wrong *confused*

Carb balance and idle setting is valid on slight throttle opening at any speed...

It does sound like it could be the idle screws - and a quarter turn is neither here nor there. Try a full turn.

Popping and banging does indeed suggest a lean setting.

😬