Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Radius Arm Bolt

ISmall

Had an interesting talk with Caterham today they agreed that movement of the radius arm is allowed by compliance in the rubber bush. They added the advice that the bolt should only be torqued up with the weight of the car on the suspension. I wonder if those that have had bolts fail tightened them with the suspension at full droop.

I've not had the bolt shear or work loose, but I have had the bush work its way out of th forward end of the bar! A bigger washer resolves this problem.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

The front radius arms should be torqued to 35 lbs ft according to the latest build manual. I was doing mine last night, and the nuts on both sides were totally stripped with this much torque.

In the end we did 'em up to 30, as this seemed to be their limit. My torque wrench could be badly calibrated, or the nuts supplied could be made of plastercine. Do nuts, like bolts, come in different specs.?

According to my build manual, the front bolts on the radius arms should be torqued up with the radius arms horizontal in order to pre-load the bush so either the manual's wrong again or Caterham's advice is. And 35lbf isn't a lot of torque for that size of bolt so there must be something suspect with your wrench, jonhill.

Reg Marjason

C7 SEV

The real question is why the bolts come loose in the first place. The torque setting will only be valid if the bolt can be correctly loaded in tension. If there is too much stiction in the thread or in the bush all of the torque loading will do is position the bolt it won't cause any stretch and the bolt will work loose.

If the bolt is tight in the bush or the thread is crappy or badly lubricated it will not tighten correctly.

Perhaps there is more than one problem. 8.8 bolts may not take the share loads and badly fitting bolts may not be tightening up correctly because of friction.

Its obviously a serious problem and needs sorting out.

If anyone with the problem is in the West Mids I have a torque wrench that was calibrated about a month ago and I would be happy to let anyone who is concerned use it to try to figure out why there is a problem

• Area Representative

Caterham build manual states the following:

These are fitted using a 3/8" x 2 3/4" caphead bolts passed through a plain counterbored bush form the inside of the cockpit. The radius arm is fitted onto the bolt next then a large dia plain washer & nyloc. These should be tightened to 35lbft with the arms parallel to the ground. This pre-loads the bushes in the correct position for when the suspension is poperly loaded.

I torqued mine up before loading the suspension & the one on the De Dion ears after.

Confusing or what!

Edited by - Tin Man on 26 Mar 2001 22:28:39

Returning to ISmall's original post 'My suspected De Dion tube fracture has in fact been confirmed as the radius bolt on the driver's side sheering off in the bush', is this because on the driver's side, the effect of a bump is to act like an impact wrench and tighten the bolt (conversely on the passenger side to loosen the bolt) in a fixed threaded bush in the chassis?

If this is the case, surely an appropriately spec'd bolt with teflon washers either side of the radius arm would cure the shearing problem, and using left hand threads on the nearside would prevent the bolt coming undone. Is this feasable, and what would be the costs to Caterham?

Cheers,

Graham

I don't understand why the front of the radius arm can't have some sort of pivot surely the weight of the car should be supported by the springs not the radius arm bushes which are torqued up solid with the only compliance in the rubber.

Mike, I think the whole point of tightening the bolts with the car's weight on the suspension is to minimise the preload and hence stress on the bushes and in answer to your previous point I can't see how an incorrectly stressed bush can help incorrectly stressing the bolt that secures it and that could cause a failure.

Edited by - stewartg on 27 Mar 2001 18:41:44

This is all getting too confusing! As I understand it, it was the "bolt into a threaded bush" setup (e.g. 1997 chassis) that was prone to failure and hence Caterham reverted back to the older method of using a plain bush with a nut and bolt.

If I'm wrong here, someone will say. Presumably if an incorrectly specified bolt is used (either setup) then the bolt might shear-off as opposed to "just" working loose.

Someone mentioned coating the bolt with grease - the instructions with my torque wrench say: "Don't use grease or molybdenum compounds on screw threads before torque tightening." "Do see that bolt threads are clean and lightly oiled before torque tightening". (presumably where neither Loctite nor Nylocks are being used)

Someone else mentioned about their torque wrench stripping the bolt threads. This caught me out too (I flatted the spring washer before I realised the wrench was "lying"). I bought a better wrench (with instructions!) and am now careful about tightening to a lower torque first. The instructions suggest 3/4 of max, then reset to final figure).

For the record, here is the 1997 version of the manual:

"a) These (the arms) are fitted using a 3/8" x 2" bolt into a threaded bush in the chassis with a large diameter plain washer and spring washer next to the head of the bolt. These should be Loctited and tightened to 35lbft with the arms parallel to the ground. This pre loads the bushes in the correct position for when the suspension is properly loaded." I've added a note (from Tim Ward) that a 12.9 HT bolt was required.

:

"b) Attach the rear end of the radius arms to the brackets on top of the De Dion tube ... - do not fully tighten yet."

We need an online (annotated) Workshop Manual.

Aideen

Stewart - the car's weight *isn't* supported by the preload in the bush if you torque it up with the wheels on the ground. It'd have to be one hell of a bush to take the weight of the car via the leverage of the radius arm anyway, even if you torqued it up at full droop!

All of the suspension mounting points (inner ends of front wishbones, outer ends of A-frame, both ends of radius arms, both ends of all dampers) use rubber bushes which become loaded/unloaded as the suspension moves. Yes you could replace them all with rose joints (non-bushed pivots) but the point of the bushes are to add compliance and reduce NVH.

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 28 Mar 2001 09:39:57

While whipping me daily driver cars calipers off to replace the pads the torque thread came to mind.

The debait about oiling or greasing threads or leaving them dry is interesting. The idea that greased or oiled threads will do up tighter is interesing too. What happens when you put a bolt under torque to say 35 ftlb is that the threads bind sharing the load and the bolt stretches everso slightly. It is the stretch that keeps the bolt and nut together. This will happen regardless of lubrication when the thread binds. If the threads are rusty and at low very torque settings then the rust binds and could fool the torque wrench. At higher torques this is probably irrelevant.

Using Loctite which while liquid must be a very good lubricant

all manuals happily say torque up to a given setting. The setting should always seem reasonable to the type of bolt and the level of 'tech' involved.

As for the radius arm bolts. I checked mine and they are fine.

They were put on with loctite in the first place.

I think the bolt shearing or the bush coming off is what to watch for.

Maybe some of you guys are loading your cars with so much HP that things are starting to get marginal

An R500 should have a much shorter service or check everything interval than say a standard 1600 K.