Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

suspension concerns

LesG

During the annual MOT test carried out on Saturday morning, it was noted how loose my suspension bolts/nuts were (it's a 'friendly' workshop, they just nipped everything up for me, and ahem, handbrake lol?).

As I've not really done many miles on the road this year, and mainly only used for sprints/hillclimbs, I was wondering how often other members torque their suspension up? Everything was tight at the start of the year, and I have basically replaced all my nuts/bolts for new as a matter of course anyway?

I welcome replies in advance *biggrin*

*arrowup* *eek* *eek*

Worth checking the suspension every time you go out *thumbup*

I had a front shock bolt shear !!! It didn't feel any different but when the car was jacked up the bolt was loose !!! Only holding in due to weight of car on it *eek*

It's now something I check every time I go out and will replace on a regular basis 😬 *thumbup*

I do Spanner check like Dave above *thumbup*

Jason 😔

But you do build a great car *wink*

• Leadership Team

Just to redress the balance ...... I thoroughly check everything annually when I give it a major service and have never found any issues with any suspension related bolts *thumbup* Same on my previous 7. If I had to do a suspension check every time I took the car out I'd sell it and buy something more reliable!

Stu.

• Support Team

So far this season we have lost 2 engine mount bolts and a radius arm bolt while competing *eek*

The engine mounts I can understand as using 8500rpm regularly probably shakes them loose. The radius arm was a surprise and prompted me to do a full suspension bolt check at the weekend. Only one bolt needed a little tightening so I think it was a freak occurrence. That said, if you use your car hard I think a thorough bolt check once or twice a year would be a sensible idea. Diff bolts are not unknown to come adrift and the consequences are normally expensive.

After more tintop miles than I care to think about, I've never checked the tintops suspension / engine mounts / etc for loose bits, and nothing has ever fallen off (well, apart from various trim bits on a MrkI Vectra company car... *mad*) so.... Why should / would things work loose on a Caterham? Surely we build them well - don't we?

dunno Nigel, but they do come loose no question, even when new nylocks and torques are applied *smile* .....

the annual servive notes from caterham also state "check suspension torque" ( or such similar) and they also do a bolt check. Racers always do a bolt check and they are on a smooth track !

I would rather check and ensure reliability than ignor and get stuck or have a component fail. *thumbup* *wink* 😬

I find a few key bolts are prone to loosening. Particularly after a first tighten / torque (I.e. they don't necessarily keep coming loose, once tightened and then re-checked a period later).

In particular:

Engine mount to engine.

A-frame.

Diff carrier.

Jez

*thumbup*Blimey! This has snowballed somewhat!

I don't know exactly which bolts were loose, but they did mention a balljoint in particular, and then said they just nipped all the others?

When I rebuilt the car, I bought the genuine CC suspension kit bags of fasteners, and torqued to all the factory settings using a calibrated quality torque wrench (I am a Snap-on franchisee after all). This is only the third MOT I've put the car through, and I haven't done that many miles, although I suppose the track days and sprints have probably been harder on the car than normal ( 😳) road use?

Thinking about it, I bead-blasted the chassis, and spray-painted it, along with wishbones etc., so maybe I've just encountered a period of 'bedding-in'?

In any case, it's a situation to monitor for the future, and I'm glad others are as conscious of the situation as I, now am. Thanks again! *thumbup*