Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing copper brake lines

TomB

Im thinking of replacing my copper brake lines over the winter. They look like theyve been bent to shape by Stevie Wonder wearing boxing gloves, and as they are 16 years old and copper pipe is pretty cheap, Im wondering about chanding them for new ones.

I gather I can bend radius's using a special tool or a socket of suitable diameter, but what else do I need apart from pipe? Any tips or experiences of doing this?

• Leadership Team

If they're not tidy they're probably not original Caterham install therefore unlikely to be as old as you think. If you're thinking about doing something more major in the next few years why not wait till then?

Stu.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to replace the copper pipe that goes to the rear of the car, when the car is in a build condition, or can it only be done with prop and gearbox removed?

Do I have to drill the rivets out of the top of the tunnel to gain access? Can the pipe be maneuovered if pre-formed, or does it need shaping in-situ?

much easyer without diff and g.box for sure, you will need to drill out the rivets that hold the P clips that hold the brakelines.

It's most likely that u will need to open some bends in order to pass trough the tunnel

If you have a SV i have a new brakeline front to rear gathering dust

Personally i always use braided hoses, much easyer to use

I gather I can bend radius's using a special tool or a socket of suitable diameter, but what else do I need apart from pipe? Any tips or experiences of doing this?

Wouldn't recommend forming over a socket. You are likely to squash the pipe and potentially restrict flow. Only bend using a proper brake pipe bender.

I agree with others. Buy new pipes from Caterham. Much easier and much safer.

Peter

I thought that flexible pipes all the way round wasn't good because of pipe wall flex leading to spongy brakes. Im guessing an easy was to do it could be to feed the unbent pipe down the tunnel from above the gearbox, and then bend the rear end to fit under the car. Im imagining it would be very tricky to feed the preformed pipe down the tunnel with the prop etc down there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Quick update for anyone who might find this thread of use in the future.

This job is an absolute ball ache of a job to do neatly and I wish Id not bothered starting. Observations:

1) Buy proper brake pipe bending pliers, rather than a pipe bender. They are expensive but you can make much tighter bends with them.

2) You can pre-bend the front pipes before taking them somewhere for flaring, but would recommend getting the long rear one flared with fittings before you start bending.

3) On the rear one, attach the rear connection first before threading the front around the pedal box.

4) Once pipe is bent, it impossible to get it back to a satisfactory straight to try again if its in the wrong place. Bend once, bend correctly.

5) Dont get the MC to front three way pipe the wrong way round as the two male connectors are are UNF & metric, and dont find out after youve carefully bent to shape.

6) Buy a roll as you'll have loads of wastage.

7) Loosening the fuel filter make it easier to get the rear brake pipe curved and connected.

Main suggestion would be wait until you are rebuilding the car!