Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What Tyres (X-flow)

Irish

I have had my Caterham 3 years but the tyres must be on there a good time - loads of thread but I have no confidence in aged rubber.

Currently on michelens of some sort - but what is the current view on best tyres for a road going S3 crossflow on mini-lites? Also, any tips on reliable stockists?

Thanks.

Hi,

When I bought my x-flow a few yeas ago, I swapped some wooden Avons (CR522 I think) for Yokohama AR021's. They are 13/70/185 - the same as the Avon's they replaced. I specifically chose the 021's as they have progressive grip, but not over-grippy; I have (perhaps) old-fashioned views on this in that the 7 is designed to 'move' underneath you, and with a 135bhp engine, it will barely move at all if I fitted something really grippy. No point, in my view, in having a 7 that goes round on rails.

My experience after 5,000 miles on them is that:

1. exactly the level of grip and feel I was aiming for

2. The car slides progressively - no sudden loss of contact

3. Relatively low wear rate (still a long way from needing to change them)

4. Good wet-weather performance

I bought mine from George Pooley - good price (but only for that size) and service.

That said, you may not need to change your current tyres just because they are old. It is heat cycles that make the rubber hard, not age, and if they are closer to a road tyre rather than a track tyre, they will cope with thousands of heat cycles. Make a decision based on how the car feels; this will help you decide what you want to achieve from a change, and if it is really needed.

Marc

I have had my xflow for 11 years. Every time I need to change my tyres I go through the pain of reviewing the possible tyre choices. I always end up with the A021s from George Polley. They are a brilliant tyre, loads of grip, reasonable wear, better than most other sticky tyres in the wet and they are a cheap tyre. 😬

Quoting Paul Richards: 
Assuming 13inch wheels, most recommended are Yokohama AO21R's 185-70 x 13 from Polley Motorsport. Good all round road tyre.

You cant go wrong with A021s. Dump the Michelins before you take an excusion as I did