Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stupid question

TobyCoulson

I think the speedo reprogramming is fairly straightforward. If you do change rolling diameter you'll want to change ride height to compensate.

You will then think that your wing stays look like they're miles from the tyres, and may want to consider lower profile wing stays. Which may necessitate new cycle wings. Depends on how much you want to do!

Why not try with some borrowed wheels/tyres (wind all platforms up or down by an equal amount to compensate for different tyres, which won't be perfect but will be better than doing nothing) and see what you think before you sink a grand in wheels/tyres/accessories.

Jez

Much as I like A048Rs, they aren't great in the wet (read, ****e) so for a road car something else is probably better. In a perfect world you would:

- Change wheels, tyres

- Reset ride height

- Reset geometry

- Change front wing stays for race ones

- Reprogramme speedo

But you can get away with just doing the first one!

In simple ficticious terms consider 2 tyres,

200/60 vs.200/50 profile, both for this example on 14" wheels.

The rolling radius of each is the tyre width x profile as a percentage + half the diameter of the wheel. So...

200 x 0.6 + (7x25.4mm) = 120+177.8= 197.8mm

200 x 0.5 + (177.1mm) = 100+177.8= 177.8mm

So a 10% profile change for a 200 mm wide tyre gives a 20mm change in radius.....

Thanks for all the advise and offers of help. The reason I asked was after my last service it was pointed out to me that my wheels(10 spoke Anthracite 15") were showing some signs of deterioration and I thought if I was going to change the wheels at some time I might change the size. As it's not as straight forward as I had hoped I will probably wait until the tyres need changing and get new 15" rims at the same time. Now the question is what sort of rims as I don't want ones that show signs of wear after just 4 years and 5000 miles of pootling around Surrey's leafy lanes in glorious sunshine. Any recommendations but I don't want Minilites?

As an aside, my ex-SWMBO was over from the US recently and hired a car from Enterprise and managed to badly kerb the left front alloy within days *rolleyes* I Googled a mobile wheel refurb company in Catford for her (near her parents house where she was staying).

They came out next day, and refurbed it to 'as new' (I really couldn't tell it wasn't a new wheel) all for £60, saving her having a lengthy argument over her deposit - the wheel refurb guy said they do a lot of hire cars now as the hire companies charge the customer for a new alloy every time they get a car returned with a kerbed wheel at £250-350 then just get the original refurbed so making around £200+ profit *nono*