Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just won't get hot!

Rampmonkey

Suspect I may know the response to this but....

My 1.8 vx has always had trouble getting up to temperature but since January seemed to have sorted itself. It was getting up to a good operating temp pretty quickly with everything working well (fan etc). For the last couple Of weeks however, it struggles to get its water temp off the stops, barely reaching 40c!

Any ideas? Sticky thermostat maybe?

Jase *rolleyes*

I had a similar problem on mine. Temp would be ok and then mysteriously drop to around 40 then suddenly warm up ..... traced the problem to a poor electrical connection between the sensor and the wiring loom. I crimped on a new terminal and no problem since.

Thanks for the quick responses! I reckon I'll give the wiring a good check over for a starters! (given my electrical track record with this car!)

However, the radiator was getting warm quite quickly, although I would say it was more than 40 degrees warm cos I damn near burnt myself! *redface*

Jase

Even if it is the sensor at fault, I'd still test the thermostat. Then you can rule it out altogether.

Take it out of the car, boil the kettle and put the thermostat into a bowl and pour hot water from the kettle to cover it. If the thermostat is closed prior to putting in the water and opens when submerged then the thermostat is OK. If the thermostat is open when you take it out of the car or fails to open when submerged in hot water then you know it needs replacing.