Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6-Speed Drain Plug - which one

jchasey

My long running gearbox oil change job is slowly approaching completion.

Managed to get the filler plug undone at last. Used the drill a hole in the drivers footwell approach. There is a cross-beam that is in the way, but an access hole adjacent to this and its close enough that you can get an hex socket in a get it undone.

Drain plug still currently stuck fast, been attacked by a variety of tools/heat etc, mechanic friend coming round to give it second go Monday, confident we'll get it out although its likely to be damaged enough to need to replace it.

Now the filler plug took a 3/8th key, the drain plug 10mm key, so guessing one of them was not original and possibly why they were/are such a git to undo.

Caterhams site has a variety of plugs but no detail on which ones go on which gearbox. Anyone else who has had to replace can tell me which ones are required for the Caterham 6-speed box?

Thanks,

John

• Leadership Team

Sorry I can't help with the hex key size, interested myself because this is on my to-do list over the winter.

But .... with the potential that there may be some further damage to the plug or threads might it be easier at this point to just lift the engine/box out and get it on a workbench?

Stu.

My K De Dion assembly Guide:

Remove the gearbox oil filler plug (if not removed earlier) using the cut down 10 mm Allen key.
July 2010 Assembly Guide:
Remove the gearbox oil filler plug (if not removed earlier) using the cut down 3/8” Allen key.
They're very close... de minimis non curat hex?

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

Tony, possibly more downgraditis, in a manner of speaking 😬 My 6-speed has had Redline MTL in for the last god knows how many years but following the recent thread on gearbox oil I'm tempted to swap to the "standard" Comma GL4 and see whether it has any plus or minus effects on a box that's done 30,000 miles.

Stu.