Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dunnell Zetec 170+bhp

Midlifecrisis2001

Hi everyone, I am considering replacing my 45mm Weber DCOE Dunnell Zetec with a fuel injected beast. So I am wondering what the forums opinion is on the resale value of a very healthy Dunnell engine & carbs with 4atm of oil pressure when stinking hot? It has done approx 15k miles and cost £4k when new.

thanks

Clive

Hi Giles, it is the 2.0, it has a lightened flywheel but that will probably need to transfer to new engine. It is Dunnell's 165hp spec (as was) with the addition of Kent camshafts (FZ2002 Camshaft Supersports). The spec is quite modest (on the website it now suggests 178hp) it also has 3D ignition (whatever that is?)

What are you proposing to replace it with? As it stands, you would be looking realistically at about £1500 for the engine, carbs, ecu, cams which isn't much return on your investment. Could you not just upgrade what you have?

Regards,

Giles

Personally, given that you're not looking for big power hike, I would keep the engine and buy an injection package from emerald (~£1700) which includes the pump (looking at the picture). Don't forget the hidden extras I.e. Whether you have your existing tank with a swirl pot, or a new Caterham injection tank/pump.

As you already have an inlet manifold you can knock that off the price of the throttle body set up aswell. Because you are removing the flywheel you will make the engine less desirable to buyers. The £1500 would be a max figure if you are not in a hurry selling. £1000 would be a quick sale. If the engine is fine (15k is nothing for a zetec) then why change it?

Can you really replace what you have and add injection for 3k? I would suspect it may cost more although I would be happy to be proved wrong *smile*. It could be worth speaking to Aeroscreens about his recent upgrade to throttle bodies and injection to ascertain the true costs.

Entirely my opinion of course. There's nothing like shiny bits to boost the spirit! *tongue* 😬

Regards,

Giles

The plot thinkens. I have just been offered a brand new 2.0 Zetec with Jenveys as below;

Brand New 2.0 Zetec Blacktop

Jenvey 45mm Throttle Body kit fully installed inc Fuel Rails

M-Tech V4 Engine Management System with Loom

Air Temp Sensor

Basemap and Tuning Software

Injectors

Coil Pack and Leads

Crank Sensor

Air Temp Sensor

Coolant Sensor

TPS Sensor

for just £2,100 inc VAT - that's made up my mind *wink*