Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drip Drip

Grandmaster Flatcap

We’ve had a quick look at Nigel’s car today (it’s not live axle) and the drip seems to be coming from the offside of the diff were the drive shaft is located. The nose of the diff is dry, the rear casing, although oil is visible around the bottom of the casing, seems to be tight, so we think it may be a seal in the diff/drive shaft area. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a seal there? I’m a live axle man!

Yup - there is a seal where each driveshaft comes out of the diff. Remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and secure it out of the way - carefully if a copper brake pipe. Unbolt the deDion ear and remove it while withdrawing the drive shaft from the diff.

Lever the old seal out - carefully, so you don't score the inside of the diff housing.

R&R advise filling back of new seal with grease to prevent spring from becoming dislodged as you tap it in.

Press new one in using a suitable drift until home.

Insert drive shaft and reattach deDion ear, caliper and wheel.

Check oil level - up to threads of filler plug on rear offside of diff. Through the boot floor is easiest.

Job done.

You can get seals from Road & Race, Redline, CC and no doubt other places too.

• 3 weeks later...

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Yup - there is a seal where each driveshaft comes out of the diff. Remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and secure it out of the way - carefully if a copper brake pipe. Unbolt the deDion ear and remove it while withdrawing the drive shaft from the diff.

Lever the old seal out - carefully, so you don't score the inside of the diff housing.

R&R advise filling back of new seal with grease to prevent spring from becoming dislodged as you tap it in.

Press new one in using a suitable drift until home.

Insert drive shaft and reattach deDion ear, caliper and wheel.

Check oil level - up to threads of filler plug on rear offside of diff. Through the boot floor is easiest.

Job done.

You can get seals from Road & Race, Redline, CC and no doubt other places too.

Need to get round to this before all the oil goes walkabout. Being a spanner newbie, and the sort of fool that needs to understand everything before I start a job, can I ask the wise heads some dumb questions?

1. unbolt the caliper and secure it out of the way - carefully if a copper brake pipe. – I have copper lines, so I guess I don’t bend the copper *nono*, but do I need to loosen a joint to get them to move, or...?

2. … withdrawing the drive shaft from the diff. – I assume this doesn’t just come out in my hand, so how is it released?

There’s a “toothed” ring around the prop on the side facce of the diff. Does this need to be removed, if so what tool?

3. Is there a way to drain the diff first?

4. Is the seal a standard part across all diff? If not, how do I ID the one I need to buy?

Thanks in advance chaps! *thumbup*

Hi Nigel

1. Good time to change to flexible hoses across the De Dion tube. Always difficult to remove the pipe from the caliper as the nut tends to corrode to the pipe and twists it as it's removed. you may get enough wiggle room by releasing the P clips that hold the pipes to the De Dion.

2. The drive shaft will just pull out once the De Dion ear is unbolted.DON'T touch the toothed ring. It should be locked, moving this will change the pre-load etc on the bearings which carry the diff inside.

3. No need to drain the oil.The oil level is below the bottom edge of the seal. That is unless you plan to change it. If so an oil pump can be used through the filling plug to suck it out eg Brass oil pump

4. As far as I know the oil seal will be a standard size - check with SPC Components, Redline etc they will know for sure

John

Quoting John Hughes: 
3. No need to drain the oil.The oil level is below the bottom edge of the seal.

Sorry chaps - to many years readnig Tech Specs - the two quotes seem to contradict each other?

Not at all.

Fill to bottom of filler plug.

Oil below drive shaft outlet - especially as you have jacked up that side of the car.

If you have had a leak, you need to check the oil level once job done and car back on the level.

Isn't the level of the seal, much lower than the filler plug. Still confused, sorry 😳