Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Classic starter motor

Matthew Willoughby

Hi Matt *wavey*

What are the symptoms? Also, have you tested it directly off a battery using jump leads? this would eliminate the possibility that you have a battery problem, or excessive resistance in your wiring.

Anyway, if it is a starter motor you need, I would suggest considering taking yours in for repair at an automotive rotating electrics place. I've used a place near me for alternators and starter motors before, Caterham and tintop, they have even successfully fixed the fancy Brise high performance lightweight starter in Dad's mega. It's an old fashioned business so my attitude is use them or lose them! The benefits are that you get your same part back so you can be sure it'll fit, you'll get a receipt which acts as a warranty, and the cost will be much lower than even the cheapest nastiest motor factors chinese copy part.

Hi James,

The symptom is that the starter clicks instead of turning the engine over. It's idenitcal to the K click I used to get on my Roadsport. The battery is fine (only 6 months old) and the starter still clicks when I try to jump start it. It has clicked on the first attempt at starting for a while but always went at the second time of asking, however it now shows no interest in working at all.

I will check all of the connections tonight but if that doesn't work I'll do some research into getting it refurbed locally unless anybody else has a brighter idea.

Thanks.

Edited by - Matthew Willoughby on 22 Aug 2012 10:39:27