Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tin Top 'fridge

Grandmaster Flatcap

Yes and no. I had climate control in the Audi and left it on all the time as I had it set at 20 degrees. Normal air con, as in the Golf, I switch on at least once a week for at least 10 minutes just to lubricate the seals. The gas contains a lubricant and needs pumping round on a regular basis.

I'm disappointed Jonathan, I thought you knew how to Google *tongue* *tongue*

FWIW - most of the later climate control systems (and certainly VAG cars from roughly 2003 onwards) don't actually turn 'off' when you select 'Econ' or whatever but they run at 5% (IIRC) to continue circulating the refrigerant for lubrication purposes to stop the seals drying out as they did on older less sophisticated systems...

I have fond memories of a lease car I had 15 years or so ago in Southern Cyprus.

The import-duty on cars was (is?) massive back then - something like 175% on new cars - so a Toyota Corolla was actually pretty impressive as a company car for a graduate.

To save money, the lease company fitted aftermarket a/c units - and these were obviously not terribly sophisticated or efficient. Certainly not on a 1.3 litre engine anyway!

The on/off button on mine was fitted dead-ahead of the gear lever - which was perfect as you just needed to extend a digit at the same time as dropping from 4th to 3rd for an overtake. (Pretty sure it was only a four-speed too...)

The power-sap was impressive. You actually got a noticeable jolt of extra acceleration when you turned it off! I referred to it as the Turbo Button as a result... 😬 *tongue*

Oh, happy days!