Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Vibration Braking or Clutch? Was Neither (see last post)

Krismuss

Noticed an occasional juddering under high speed heavy braking lately and assumed it was brakes though it wasn't happening every time, then out on a blat yesterday and noticed it is when braking at high speed though only when releasing the clutch at the same time (changing down).

Does that sound like clutch on it's way out?

To be honest, I 'smoked' my clutch at Wings & Wheels last year and ever since it does 'stink' whenever I get a rapid (ahem!) getaway though don't necessarily every notic/feel any slipping.

Any pointers, is the clutch being replaced this winter?

Thanks

Chris

Edited by - krismuss on 28 Aug 2012 12:36:02

Is the judder through the steering wheel ?

It is not going to be linked to the clutch.

Have you checked for play in the front wheel bearings or top/bottom swivels on the uprights lately ? You may be surprised to find how much play there is, and remedial action may solve your problem. Adjusting the bearings is easy.

Chris,

It's your propshaft. Under braking, the loads on the prop joints are in the opposite direction.

Probably a grease nipple fell out and the joint has worn out. if you take your tunnel top off, you will be able to look at the joints to see the missing nipples. Common problem.

I'd be inclined to get it fixed before a flailing prop cuts your legs off or something.

Its a crap job to do BTW. Diff out. 😳 😬

I always struggled greasing those nipples on the prop with my Dads old massive grease gun to the extent that I thought I might snap one off. Now my friendly MOT garage (H engineering T/Wells) give them a thorough greasing when it's up on their lift & I give them a drink *wink*

Chris passed through Bletchingly twice today as I was working in Redhill & Horley for a change. I wondered which your place was on the main road through *confused*

Nice customers in Surrey....better than Sevenoaks *rolleyes*