Click here if you are having website access problems ×

EBC Turbo Groove Discs

classic1952

When I had my Elise, I found a great improvement in braking by fitting EBC Turbo Groove discs and Green Stuff pads, particularly initial bite and reduced pedal pressure.

I wonder if anyone has experience of this set-upon the front of a Caterham with standard calipers?

Simular experience to Paul with EBC brakes. Also I believe grooved discs are unnecessary if you are using a road/fast road pad like 'Greenstuff', usually they make more noise and they're weaker to boot. I recommend a mild brake friction material upgrade with standard discs, that's what is racers use on the very heavily used brakes on 150bhp race cars. Remember to change the fluid if it's over 2 years old, too. DOT 4 is fine. For fast road/trackday use, Mintex 1144 is the usual recommendation.

• Area Representative

I Tried EBC green stuff and found it quite inconsistent! I never knew what was going to happen when I pressed the pedal *eek*

Mintex 1144 (part number MGB533M1144) work very well.

Some may point you towards MGB535M1144's, which have a slightly larger area, but you may well find that you upset the balance and have too much front braking power.

Don't underestimate how much the rear brakes add to the overall stopping power.

Quoting Richard Price: 

Don't underestimate how much the rear brakes add to the overall stopping power.

Thanks. I have just refreshed the rear brakes, thanks to a faulty caliper, and now need to do something with the front, including new discs. I will stick with the pads you suggest. The front discs are fairly shot at 3000 miles, suggesting the Caterham ones might not be the best quality, particularly at the price. I have seen the standard discs advertised elsewhere at considerably less but wonder if there are any horror stories on these?

I used to run with EBC Turbo Groove discs and green stuff pads. Unimpressed with the pads. So upgraded to Mintex 1144s. This year the discs needed replacing and I couldn't justify the additional cost of the EBC discs over the standard ones fron Canley Classics, something like £110 v £30. Standard disks fitted and I honestly don't notice any difference.

Current set up is Standard discs all round, uprated MC, standard rear pads and the larger Mintex 1144s to counter the Zetec boat-anchor up front 😬. Braking is more than adequate for road use and sprinting.

Just my 2p worth

• 4 weeks later...
Are the Mintex 114 a 'softer' pad than the standard ones fitted by Caterham? It would be nice to have more initial 'bite' as compared to my standard road car I seem to have to press the brake pedal quite hard on the Caterham to get any real feel....