Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing / Door Mirrors

Grandmaster Flatcap

So, thought I'd give it a go without the doors. Absolute cracking fun 😬

Would love to go "doorless" again, but would need to be able to quickly swap back to the doors. Does anyone know of a wing mirror / windscreen stanchion mounted mirror that quick releases? Is there a mirror that drops into the mounting tubes for the doors?

(As an aside, CC's online shop is pants for newbie / non-techies. No product details, no "this is compatible with X,Y but not Z", no "whats in the box". One feels like shopping would be a little pot luck, with a 50/50 chance I'd buy the left handed thread instead of the right handed. Very discouraging)

N.

• Area Representative

Nigel

Assume your doors have pins i.e. not bolted to make them easily removable.

Some years ago someone made mirrors on clips which fitted into the door hinges on the stanchions, but alas no longer. You could fit the mirrors to the stanchions permanently as per IVA requirement, but this does not allow the doors to open fully and personally I find this a pain. Incidentally I also find driving without the doors a pain, but each to his own. I guess you could fit a set of IVA mirrors every time you go doorless - it's only 2 screws.

As an aside, I don't bother with CC on line store. Recommend you ring Redline (see ad in Low Flying) Ask for Mick and tell him I recommended you ring. You'll get good advice as well as the parts.

See you at next LADS meeting? First Wednesday in September. *thumbup*

CC's online shop is pants for newbie
. I sometimes wonder why people buy these cars when they so regularly criticise both the Caterham shop (usually it's expense) and Caterham components (radiators, OPGs, senders, etc). If you are not sure which bit you want, Nigel, give them a call. My experience is that they are extremely helpful and reassuring.

I run most of the time without side-screens, but with wind deflectors. It must take all of 2 minutes to take off the side-screens and fit the SVA mirrors - which are good and effective. But as for side-screen storage if you want to change back when away from home? If you have a solution, please share it.

Have to agree with StEve, and the shop ain't so confusing, click on your model at the top, it displays relevant groups in pictures, click on group, click on part , it generally tells you which car it fits,

Ok occasionally need to clarify whats in the box, but not that often surely , and its alway nice to have a chat with them,

excluding other reasons to ring Redline if you are going to " ring Redline (see ad in Low Flying) Ask for Mick and tell him I recommended you ring. You'll get good advice as well as the parts. "

surely you get the same if you rang Caterham, and while in no way having a go at Redline, if we are talking websites, well need I say any more

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 19 Aug 2012 01:03:21

Quoting St Eve: 
CC's online shop is pants for newbie
..... If you are not sure which bit you want, Nigel, give them a call. My experience is that they are extremely helpful and reassuring...

That's my point. I have no issues phoning them if they're helpful - but - if you are going to sell things through an online portal, then do it properly. When was the last time you had to phone amazon to ask about an items description?

Just because we own and love these cars it doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't criticise, in fact we are the ones who can generally justify those criticisms. It's only because of constructive criticism and complaining if things aren't correct, that things get changed. I agree the CC on line shop is very poor and surely can be greatly improved. Incidently our R300 is still with CC (over 2 weeks) and they cannot get the fault with the cut out when the horn button is pressed to reproduce itself. Speaking with Brett tomorrow to see where we go from here *confused* I'm not complaining of course! *nono*

• Area Representative

Quoting tbird: 
surely you get the same if you rang Caterham, and while in no way having a go at Redline, if we are talking websites, well need I say any more

I recommended Redline because I don't think you do get the same from Caterham.

I have experienced difficulty in getting through to Caterham Parts on the phone and long delays in parts arriving. I have had neither of these with Redline.

I'm sure if you ask Caterham a question you will get good advice. However in my experience Redline go the extra mile. For example if you ask Caterham for a new sump plug they'll send you one, but when you come to fit it you'll realise that you also need a new washer.

Ask for a sump plug at Redline and they'll ask if you want a new washer with it.

Just my experience, but I do like to recommend places where I have had good service and I do like to talk to someone when I order things rather than shop on line. *thumbup*

OK all good points, I don't have experience of Redline so was no way suggesting they were inferior, I know if you recommend somewhere, they are excellent. I was more the general, Caterham are Pants, which is not my experience and the website is rubbish, which again is not my perception, and if you have to ring one supplier its no different if you have to ring the other. More constructive criticism would, I am sure, be useful and if given to CC i'm sure they would try to rectify the problem.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Allan - Have Racetech mirrors on windscreen stanchions and, while better than CC mirrors, they are not a complete solution. I find them too narrow and because they get knocked by the doors, they need constant and fiddly adjustment. Most useful thing I have, particularly for the long trips I do in Europe, is a convex clip on mirror designed for keeping an eye on kiddies in the back seat. Clips onto windscreen edge and has a ball mount so you can adjust view. Cost six Euros and gives a great view to the left hand side for that last glance before taking a TIR lorry on a short straight. I've looked at machining something to fit in the door hinges a la nifty and will give this a go when I get back. Want to create something that can be fitted on door or stanchion and that is really rigid. Meantime, heat here in Southern France has had an interesting effect on dipping rear view mirror that has started to droop after a few bumps......but standard mirror in 7 is great....makes things get smaller really quickly :)

Thanks for that, I trust you got the convex ones?

I wanted to look at those multi mirrors that attatch to the top of the screen ( a line of about 5 mirrors sitting along the top at different angles ?) which I think ar made in the USA...they would solve the issue. like others its mainly for when no doors on with wind deflectors so not that frequent and would like to be able to take of quickly.

Interesting Eu6 mirror but where from?

oh and for those wondering what vhappened about the drip drip results with CC, should know pretty soon . 30 all at this stage ?