Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine upgrade path

SJL

I am about to proceed on some winter engine upgraditis and wanted some advice

Currently have a 1.6 SS Eu3 engine and am looking to improve power and was thinking something like the following

1) Change standard exhaust to Caterham 4-2-1 non cat exhaust system (595 + vat) on the basis that theres little point doing any other mods until this is changed

2) Throttle bodies and new ECU. This is the tricky bit - should I go the whole hog and get do the head at same time or just tackle the ancilliaries (TB & ECU) as a stepping stone. Its already got the SS cams so this should give a good performance increase (~150bhp). Also I would prefer an ECU that fits into eu3 loom without too much hacking about.

3) Fit a laminova - is there any reason why not to go with one of these ?

I had been hoping Caterham would be providing a roller barrel upgrade but it rather looks not.

Any suggestions are appreciated

1) Yep.

2) The EU3 is your problem. Some people have made up their own looms, and I believe Emerald are looking into it (maybe already have). But until then you're stuffed (unless you make your own).

Assuming you could get a programmable ECU you wouldn't have to do anything else immediately, but power output would depend on how good your head casting is. TB's make the car sound excellent though. Worth it just for that.

3) I'd only suggest fitting a Laminova if you do lots of track work and/or you see high oil temperatures. If you don't fit in this category it's probably safe to say it's added expense, weight and complication for little benefit. Nice bits of kit though and wouldn't hurt the engine if you wanted to fit one.

A powerspeed exhaust willl be cheaper - not sure what the bulk buy status is.

An Emerald will allow you to set it up correctly and give you HUGELY more low down, 3rd will pull from rest better than 2nd used to for example. but little peak increase.

The TBs will then give you a nice noise, better throttle response and a bit more power.

After that you're into head work, more cams etc.

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

If you search the 'For Sale' section you will find a bulk buy of Powerspeed exhausts. I missed the collective order but Dave at powerspeed (01233 662225) said he would hold this price till end November. £450 inc. VAT for a custom system and repackable silencer is waaaay cheaper than that offered by Caterham.

SJL

Caterham are in fact about to do the roller barrel upgrade, and as nice as they look I think the £3- £4000 cost is a little OTT!

I'm already going down a similar route but unfortunately the EU3 loom prevents you fitting an Emerald, so everything else comes to a grinding halt. I wish someone would get this resolved.

☹️

Colin (et al),

I emailed Dave Andrews yesterday regarding the whole EU3/MEMs thing. My question was:

"There's been a lot of chat on BlatChat recently (Lotus Seven Club) regarding whether or not the latest EU3 loom & controls will accept some/all of your various upgrade packages. What's the score with this?"

And Dave's (prompt) reply was:

"The Emerald ECU is *about* to be made compatible with the EU3 loom using an adapter loom. The problem at the moment is with availability of the loom connectors which can only be had in a huge batch size, as soon as a reasonable supply source can be found, then the adapter looms can be made."

So it looks as though the waiting game is coming to an end...

(Should give me just enough time to sort out my exhaust!)

Hope that clears up some confusion.

Cheers,

Christian

C7 CCL - broom broom