Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series Dry Sump Dipstick keeps undo-ing

EFA

My car has the conning tower with the big screw on top section and then the small screw on cap for the M10 threaded dipstick.

The dipstick keeps undo-ing itself and spraying oil everywhere.

I have done it up pretty tight.

Before I resort to a complex solution, is there a simple one anyone knows?

Ta

• Area Representative

Arnie

Not really familiar with the set up, but would a small O ring fit? i.e. something "squashy" to tighten up against and stop vibration between male and female parts. Ooh er missus!!

Ivaan,

Yours is the complex solution I was worried I might think of.

RJ, you are a man of simple things 😳 *wink* 😬

Paul, I like yours most, as I don't fancy travelling and having to explain why I have a pot of threadlock in my pocket. I will try a star lock washer for starters, which has the advantage it is reusable if I don't lose it while checking the oil!

Edited by - EFA on 11 Aug 2012 11:08:33

Arnie

That has been a constant problem with mine. I finally cored it by putting another o ring at the top. It should already have one (yours does I take it?) Ad another and it will be OK. The other problem is the dipstick coming of the screw in bit. The latest dip sticks seem to have this cured, but my first three failed

Quoting Slipper man: 
Arnie

That has been a constant problem with mine. I finally cored it by putting another o ring at the top. It should already have one (yours does I take it?) Ad another and it will be OK. The other problem is the dipstick coming of the screw in bit. The latest dip sticks seem to have this cured, but my first three failed

Does that mean I can have my 'sensor bodge' back then Keith *wink* *tongue*

Arnie...hope you haven't been running with too little oil 😳 *wink*

The other problem is the dipstick coming of the screw in bit. The latest dip sticks seem to have this cured, but my first three failed

This is the problem I have Keith.

Don't worry Gordon, it only takes a small amount to make a mess. Anyway the further I drive it the more confidence you can have in its reliability. It is a K-Series, after all....(some of it anyway).....

It doesn't sound like we are talking about the same thing. The dipstick comes detached from the top and falls down into the conning tower, so that if the top comes unscrewed it can go missing. Causing you to have to borrow an old sensor from Gordon! They seem to have fixed that now though. You might have the new type that is OK. To stop it coming undone, try a second O ring.

What are you doing with a K-series anyway? Have you finally seen the light?!