Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electronic Ignition on xflows

robert green

You've probably got an Aldon distributor fittted with an Aldon 'Ignitor' electronic ignition. This fits completely under the distributor cap, so you wont know its there until you look. You can tell an Aldon dsitributior which will be based on a Lucas type, but will have a hand-engraved number on it - probabaly 103FXYS or similar. If present, the letters UL mean unleaded ignition advance curve.

The 'ignitor' unit is just a black plastic 'lump' about 1cm by 2cm sitting where the points would normally be. It works by sensing magnetic pulses from a plastic ring containing the magnets which is fitted over the distributor shaft (and concentric with it) and sits immediately under the rotor arm.

If you've got one of these, you don't need any other type of elecronic ignition. Mine was fully reliable.

I wouldn't doubt that that 3d is the way forward but what put me off is the price - 500 notes plus - ouch 🙆🏻

RK does sell other electronic ignition systems, like the Lucas race set up which from memory gives dirty great big sparks and more power for 200 odd quid - that's going to be my xmas pressy to my 7 *thumbup*

don't tell the girlfriend tho...

Buckingham Massive doing it in flares...

I have this system and it works very well, however a cautionary tale. A few weeks ago I pushed the car into the garage having switched on the ignition to release the steering lock. Having parked the car, I stupidly forgot to switch off the ignition. The following morning left me with a discharged battery and the electronics module of the ignition system thoroughly cooked. Replacement was easy & a lesson learnt

Peter

C7 PRG

RK fitted a Lucas Competition ignition system to my 7 and I've never had an ounce of trouble starting it, even from cold.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Drive it like you stole it! *cool* *thumbup*

I have a sprint 1600with an aldon 103 FXYS not UL so ok for super unleaded

(UL is for 95 octane rating), a burton unleaded head stage 2

A lucas sport coil 105, speedlead and BP7ES NGK and ... points and condenser in the distributor.

Perfect running, Ignitor on the selves of the garage : by now no need...