Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I give up- clam shells

virden

The clearance between the tyres and wings on my S3 is 20mm higher on the LHS than the RHS. A spirit level shows the chassis to be horizontal side to side, ditto the headlights and the indicators. The wings are fitted to the stays in precisely the same way. The outer tips of the wing stays are the same height above the ground. So is it simply a case of each wing being a different shape as well as handed?

I have a 91 S3 with clamshells and having recently had a bike fall off the wall and land on one wing I know the stays are very bendable and the most likely cause of trouble.

If everything is the right height and level, I would look at the other dimesnions with fore and aft position being a possiblity.

probably done this and it sounds obvious, but have you measured from ground to top of Tyre, because if stays are correct then only thing left is the profile, have you got a profile guage you could use to check shape

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 9 Aug 2012 12:28:00

My 7 had the same issue - the clearance between clams and headlight was different on each side and no amount of measuring and fiddling seemed to able to pinpoint why or fix it.

In the end I removed both stays and compared - there were small differences in some of the dimensions. I cut and re-welded one stay to match the other and the clam / headlight clearance is much improved. Its not perfect, but like others have found the wings appear to be slightly different in profile.