Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drat and darnation

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

Looks like the rather strange intermittent coolant loss problem H5 URF had earlier in the year might be more serious than I hoped, so no Loton Park for us *thumbdown*. Haven't had a chance yet to work out if it's just a head gasket or something more sinister.

See everyone at Curborough, car or no car *thumbup*

Michael.

• Leadership Team

Cheers Guys - head should be coming off in the next few days to determine if it's just a head gasket, or a cracked head or block as I rather fear...

Ah, the joys of retro motoring *confused*

Michael.

If it is like my last engine, the bore on cylinder 2 cracked. Are there signs of water getting into the Oil?

I will keep my fingers crossed that it is only the head gasket.

BTW - The engine is "Historically Interesting" not Retro *rolleyes*

• Leadership Team

Well, somewhat as expected, it's a cracked block. There is a tiny crack low down on bore no 4 which was allowing water through (seemingly only when the engine was cold and only when the piston had stopped dead bottom). This explains the intermittent nature of the problem at least...

However, I have actually been very lucky. Upon investigation, bore no 1 shows far worse cracks which have not shown any symptoms, but which would have probably landed me with a totally blown engine very soon...

Can I please ask that no mention be made of bike derived engines for the next few months please *nono*

Michael *smile*

Edited by - Mcalvert on 14 Aug 2012 09:11:05

Interesting artcle in this months Lowflying about a xFlow to Zetec conversion.

Might be worth contacting the author.

😬

and Tam shouldn't be reading Blatchat when at work *nono*

Hope you get sorted one way or the other soon.

*cough* supercharged duratec *cough*

*cough* supercharged duratec *cough*

Probably a great track and race tool , but a supercharged duratec would be no good for MSA hillclimbs and sprint events, as you get a heavy penalty for having forced induction.

as per section 'S' of blue book

Engines

10.3.1. Forced induction equivalence 1.4.

10.3.2. Rotary engine equivalence 1.5. Forced

induction rotary equivalence (1.4 x 1.5) = 2.1.

Yes, MSA run to capacity.

Agreed, for L7C events, it would probably make a very nice class 5 beast. However (my point was) if you were into Hillclimbing/Sprints and there was a possibility you may also want to enter a few MSA events, would it make sense to invest in a car which would be so heavily penalised outside of L7C events? *smile*

I'm not convinced more torque is what you need in a class 5 car, 210lbft is plenty to get into lots of trouble with, a supercharged Duratec is going to have even more 😳

I still reckon an R500 style 2.0l Duratec would be a great class 5 engine, certainly better than my "truck engine" Duratec as Ammo likes to call it.

I think now is the time to find a new block (easily done - I did it last year when I cracked a bore) and fit injection. I am sure you reach 159.9bhp 😶‍🌫️ Give those in class 3 something to really worry about 😬

I must thank Clive for keeping it real 😶‍🌫️

All this class 5 business is all very well but entirely irrelevant to the Calvert steed *nono*

Tam (I'm not looking at Blatchat whilst in the office, honestly) Calvert