Click here if you are having website access problems ×

help please

ian c anderson

Hi

Could some one help with some advise please i want to buy a 7 i allways wanted a 1700 super sprint but some one said the engine is prone to trouble because it is highly tuned and the carbs need tuning a lot and it is hard to start in the winter.So would i be better of with a k series engine is so what one for reliable motoring.I am looking around the £12000 to £14000 price range .Eny help would be most apreciated as i would be using it on the road rather than the track.do i need a heated front screen, what tyres are best ect.

many thanks from a new member

Ian

Ian, warm welcome to the club and to this forum, where, I can guarantee, you will not wish to meet and talk to a more knowledgeable bunch who can offer good solid advice based on years of experience.

I'm not qualified to answer your question directly, but I would advise you to go to a local area meeting and talk to as many people as you can and possibly ask to be taken out in acouple of variants and ask lots of questions. Your budget certainly puts you in the ballpark for a wide choice of options.

As for Heated front screen, desirable but not essential, and the later ones are standard fitment anyway.

Good luck

😬

Ian

Where do you live 🤔 The best way to find out about 7's is to go to an area meet and if your in travelling distance there will be a good number (around 100) watching the London to Brighton run this Sunday on the A23 near Pease Pottage. Come along you will get all the advice you need, if you ask nicely a passenger ride or two and some rather nice sausages 😬

Mark

Su77on Se7en

Ian, its difference strokes for different folkes.

My first thought would be for a K series, the Vx is an older model and therefore perhaps more closer to your price bracket but either grab me...

The most important thing is to get kitted... and start smiling.

If you are anywhere near Sussex on Sunday, do the Sausage/Old Crocks run and mingle with the Club, there will be a good 100 + Seven present and the say the sausages are v.good!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the 222bhp yellow Sausage delivery machine

it depends what you want it for etc. Go to a load of local meets, look at the cars, find out what a similar would cost, what its good at, what's its not good at, what the owner uses it for, what they wish they'd fitted, what they wish they hadn't bothered with etc etc.

About the only option i can think of that is crucial is 13" wheels, probably with yokohama A021R tyres. best for ride quality, handling, and price.

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

1700 SUPER SPRINT It is a good model, a classic one. The weak point is the pistons, they are weak and cannot be good after 25000 Miles.

But with your budget you can find one with a Roger King engine.

However you can go for a sprint engine (1600 cc) with no problem

Standart brakes are OK, De Dion recommanded and 5 speed too.

If you are on a budget and ground clearance problems 14" wheels with 021 yoko or 032 (dry), 15" for long trip and 13" are the best option for sport use.

If you want to go fore a more modern car, better handling but less charming noise and fumes, you can go for a K series

1400 is very light, very good handling but the engine is peaky

1600 is good high reviing engine

1800 is good and must be better

You can go with benefits to 6 speed with a 3.62 axle (3.92 and 6 speeds too short from my point of view)

Out of your budget are superlight, but they are nice models

Rodsports are also enjoyable

Vauxhall are very powerful, some says that they are too heavy on the front ...

In any case, see the car and the feeling you can have with it.

My car is a sprint engine de dion with 5 speeds 110 HP and I am very happy with, no trouble in more than 30000 miles, bought in 1998, mileage unknown

as it was a former race series (no speedo)

Sorry if my point of view can be not well received, every 7 owner love it car

and think fortunately that he owns the best one.

Ian,

I was in your shoes 12 months ago. I went for a 1400 (Rover K) Supersport with a 6 speed box. It is an absolute dream and you should easily be able to get one with your budget.

If you will be using your car on the road in the wet then you will definitely want a heated screen as they can be prone to misting - especially with the roof up.

Agree with Hoopy on the tyres - A021Rs by Yokahoma. IMHO I think the 14'' wheel is a better all-rounder as you get slightly better ground clearance and I think they look better proportioned on the car.

This is the right time of year to buy as prices tend to be a bit deflated in November. Suggest you get yourself a copy of low flying and have a look in the ads. Alternatively people do advertise their cars on this site.

Motorcycle wings tend to be preferred by club members but this does mean that the (IMHO more attractive) clamshell winged cars tend to be a bit cheaper. Would also strongly recommend you get an FIA bar (upgraded anti-roll bar).

Good luck

but 13" in a 70 profile give you the same ground clearance and are even cheaper, alkthough not quite as good handling wise as the 60 profile.

hmmm... Ian, you can see the sort of friendly informed debate you'll get here *smile*

a 1.4 K SS 6 speed is a good starting point, and within budget. if you really want more power the engine will probably come out anyway and sourcing a 1.8 lump to get fettled isn't difficult.

FIA bar should be on the definite list as well.

Some have trouble getting 021's in 14". The availability varies!

The ride of the 70 profile may even be better on bumpy B roads but smooth road / track handling

may not be as good as the 60 profile. They are much cheaper though!

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Ian, There are a lot of good value used sevens out there at the mo. Suggest if you are a club member having a look in the back of low flying or if not look on these pages. Cross-flows are okay provided they have been built by a decent engine builder. The ones that Caterham supplied had a finite life of often less than 10,000 miles (mine lasted 4000) due to the enherant weakness of the original pistons. Most of these cars will by now have been upgraded with better components by their owners so a crossflow that has had a recent engine rebuild is likley to be a good car, providing it is tidy and has a few nice to have things. It is also likely to be under your budget.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 31 Oct 2002 07:02:37

Hi Ian,

Please do not be put off by the X-flow. There are plenty of bargains out there at present with high spec machines going for a fraction of their cost.

The X-flow is very reliable, providing you address the pistons - I am with Eric here - which is a straight forward job and one which Roger can fix for you very economically.

I would also suggest 3D ignition which is simple to fit and transforms the car.

The X-flow has plenty of tuning capability ( up to a real 185 BHP enough to go play with the SLRs for a fraction of the cost) and will still be completely tractible and reliable.

I have had mine from new ( 12 years ) and it has gently evolved and still remains fantastic fun.

If you get a cheaper x-flow you can address all of the "nice to have" spec items which will come out of your discussions.

If you want a chat give me a call 07714 835983

Regards

My SuperSprint had a precautionary rebuild by Roger King at 45000 miles. So don't be put off by the stories of low mileage from this engine. I sold it on with a further 20000 miles on it. That included a number of track days, and thrashes up Prescott hill.

You should check that the head has been sorted for unleaded petrol.

However, you will find that it is very difficult to achieve a good fuel consumption. My SuperSprint could achieve 26 mpg if driven very carefully. The 1.6 K SuperSport that replaced it can give 40 mpg.

Either type, if well sorted, will give loads of pleasure. 😬

Yes, the SuperSprint will suck its teeth, and complain, if starting from cold; but that is part of the charm.

You will get more intake roar from the Ford than the K, so watch out for your hearing.

Ian

Where abouts are you? I'm sure you could blag a passenger ride from one of the kind souls on here.

I sold my 'performance' tintop & had £14k to spend on the new toy. I didn't do a lot of investigation - just enough to get a fair idea what I wanted. Perhaps I should have done more, but (like most boys'n'toys) I had to have one NOW! Ended up with a £14k 1.6ss, 6-speed, LSD, blah blah and haven't looked back.

If you are around Herts area (HP4), drop me a mail & I'll take you out.

If you are not buying until Jan, you can be choosy. Could you buy now & store it? Market is a bit of a buyers market now, so maybe an earlier purchase would benefit you.

Happy shopping

Al

Hoopy

That was a gaggle of us returning from the Ring. I filled up in Belgium and drove back to near Rugby without filling up again. Steady motorway plod stuff.

I was just trying to demonstrate the difference between the consumptions of the two types of engine, with similar power outputs. The hard driving consumptions may have been similarly proportioned, but I don't have any figures. For a new guy trying to make the decision, it might help.

no probs, I was joking *wink*. Sorry if it came across as otherwise ☹️

I got 40 mpg plodding to Le Mans in heavy traffic at a steady 60 mph in a convoy a few years back. I used to get about 32 mpg in normal use, although i have the 3.92 diff which means 5000 rpm on the motorway and stops it being any better. I think 1.4s regularly get 40 mpg in normal use.

With a slightly rich map and TBs its dropped to upper 20s now, but it sounds glorious and has much more low down grunt. and it pops and bangs like a good'un 😬

A worthwhile point to make is that some owners don't use their car much because it only does low 20s mpg, whereas the tintop company car is free. another thing to consider...