Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Disc (What are they?)

GeorgeMartin

Triumph I believe, XR4 is the rears (I believe).

Caterham or James Whiting, 7workshop etc will do them for you for 15 squids each... not much scope for savings.

Caterham big brake as mentioned is an AP part. James Whiting does a big brake kit for the standard discs.

Simos - sorry you're wrong too! Hoopy - sorry but you're still wrong...... The rear calipers are indeed from the XR4i but the discs are not.

The front discs are as others have said Herald fronts and I think the standard Caterham rear discs are identical to the fronts so are Herald fronts too. A check of the parts cd-rom will confirm this if it shows the same part number for front and rear discs.

Race vented front brakes, race solid rear discs and the later uprated rear race brakes (the vented ones) are all one off specials made by AP.

Are you sure?

My calipers are definetly AP (bought from Caterham in about 1998), they came in AP boxes and have AP cast into them. They're the older style with silver calipers, the newer ones have black calipers, I suppose these could be from Alcon. The discs came in AP boxes too.

James whiting sells Alcon calipers that are 4 pot and use the standard discs, are you thinking of these?

I believe that Caterham have supplied both Alcon and AP disks as spares for the front uprated setup and that they were manufactured to the same design so as to be interchangeable.

However apparently Alcon did not actually manufacture them, they were manufactured for them by a part of the European Automotive Components Group (who have also supplied AP and Brembo)

The cast blanks were derived from a Nissan part.

Oh and the bloke who cast them was named Charlie...

(Anyone care to take this back any further *wink*)