Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cold air feed

TomB

Ive got the KV6/ SLR throttle bodies on my 1.8k. I gather there isn't an airbox available for these probably due to demand and the limited space under the bonnet.

Would there be any advantage (other than imaginary) from ducting some cold air from under the front of the car (around of the front of the alternator, the RHS engine mount or somewhere below the rad)?

I imagine that with the air filter close up to the bonnet it gets quite warm around the air filter which can't be good. Some cheap ducting to scoop some fresh colder air and split it out near the TB sounds worthwhile. Or at the level of performance of a road 7 with a windscreen and leather seats, is it a load of 'hot air'? (Geddit? Never mind, Ill get my coat *tongue*)

Edited by - TomB on 3 Aug 2012 16:34:33

• Leadership Team

Tom, I investigated doing something similar when I had KV6's fitted - to do a full airbox with intake scoop and keep it all under the bonnet is a massive job. You could create some benefit though simply by fettling some cowling to direct fresh air to where it's needed - the nose on the 7 tends to shove everything through the radiator.

Stu.

Before spending too much time on this, I would recommend measuring the difference in air temperature at the current intake location vs. the potential new location.

You can expect 1% increase in power pr. 7 degrees celsius that you drop the temperature, so if you have the two temperatures you have a good approximation of what you will gain.

• 2 weeks later...