Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Stud removal...

jackb_ms

Hello all

The the head of the bolt holding the radius arm to the chassi has sheared off in the distance past.

The access is rather limited so I cannot drill it out, and there is body work around it so I cannot use heat.

Has someone tried this here and this stud extractor here

Jack

Edited by - jackb_ms on 27 Jul 2012 16:52:27

if there's enough sticking out to get the extractor onto the stub, can you get hold of it with good mole grips? I haven't tried that particular penetrating substance but whatever you use, keep soaking it and leave it as long as you can, (days!) to give it the best chance. Another way is to mig weld a bar onto the end of the stub or drive on a smaller 12 point socket. Either way penetrating oil is a must to avoid the risk of shearing it off nearer to the body work.

I quite like the halfords stud extractor set on the same page. However, you are up against it. If the thing has already sheared, trying to grip a small bit left sticking out and hoping it wont shear again is optimistic.

I have been soaking it for 24hrs in Plus Gas, I'll give it an other soaked this evening.

The apealing of that product is that it "freeze" which I think may cause less damaged than heat(/)

The body work is very much in the may which mean welding is out of the question.

Jack

I've used the Halfrauds 'Shock & Release' stuff with very impressive results. Does the same thing I think? freezes and penetrates.

However talking to a Midget owner only last Thursday (of the MG variety 😬) he says the best tested substance (according to classic car people) is a mix of transmission fluid and acetone.

Jacking your car up on one side, so that whatever penetrating fluid you use will have a better effect as it will sit around the top of the stud, is a good idea too.

Don't laugh; but coca-cola (other brands are also available) works really well too.

Personally, I'd rather take the long-winded approach and remove anything in the way (rear wings etc.), and drill the centre of the bolt/stud with a left-handed drill bit (encourages bolt/stud to start turning in an anti-clockwise direction, and drillbit can snatch it free and then remove with the drill), and then use a proprietory stud extractor (preferably with straight flutes rather than tapered sides). *thumbup*