Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre repair legality question

2slo

I can't find this on the internet so can anyone recall the regs for tyre repair, specifically how far from the sidewall a repair has to be? I'm asking as I've picked up a pice of metal in the tread of one of my front ZZRs which only has 2k miles on it. A new one will cost around £150 when I allow for cost plus postage from CC and fitting etc so if it can be repaired safely I'll do that. I haven't measured the exact distance but the offending metal object is about 2cms in from the sidewall.

Thanks, but not really, that just refers to the distinction between major and minor repairs based on where the repair is. I'm sure there's some regulation about not repairing a tyre based on damage within a certain proximity to the sidewall. Not to worry, I'll get it checked out tomorrow.

I've been amazed by the repair power of the spray in tyre-weld...

I picked up a large screw through the tread of one of my tyres, which when removed left a 3 to 4 mm hole through the tyre.

One can of tyre-weld, and a 30 mile drive later, the tyre sealed. Needed topping up with air on the 30 mile run, but the tyre was fine for a couple of years after - only replace just before this year's Classic Le Mans!

😬

Quoting Bradders: 
Glad you made it back safe from The Mouse ok.

Always up for a blat when you get your tyre sorted, just give me a bell.

Bradders.

Took it carefully but no problems thanks. Slowest drive I've ever had in a 7 *smile*

As discussed, childcare permitting, I will.

Quoting Eugene: 
I've been amazed by the repair power of the spray in tyre-weld...

I picked up a large screw through the tread of one of my tyres, which when removed left a 3 to 4 mm hole through the tyre.

One can of tyre-weld, and a 30 mile drive later, the tyre sealed. Needed topping up with air on the 30 mile run, but the tyre was fine for a couple of years after - only replace just before this year's Classic Le Mans! 😬

Well I carry a can of that as a last resort but decided that I'd try reinflating the tyre and then drive 5 miles home slowly and carefully. Haven't managed to get out today and measure the tyre with the guage Jonathon found for me (thanks again) it's near the top of my 'to do' list

Update on this as the cause wasn't what I thought. The tiny piece of metal I thought had caused this tyre to deflate wasn't the problem. The tyre fitter tracked it down to a faulty valve (oe fitted new by CC) the seat of which had cracked causing the problem. A new valve fitted and all is now well. Worth bearing in mind if anyone gets a flat tyre and they can't see any obvious reason.