Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Can type 9 90 degree speedo adapter be fitted without removing the gearbox? Ans is Yes.

anthony1956

yes but its a bstard and having done it I'd not recommend trying again. I finally ditched mine for an electronic speedo and sensor on the front wheel. No more speedo drive cable issues. It might be easier if you have access to a ramp / pit

If you need to remove the circlip it sounds like you are doing more than replacing the angle drive? If you are changing the geared drive shaft bit then I'm not sure you'll manage that with the gearbox in situ. I managed to change the brass top hat and oil seal once, but I haven't tried to get the drive shaft bit out.

You can do it from underneath the car, especially if you have a lift or pit so you can see what you're doing.

The circlip holds the angle drive in place and can be quite hard to seat properly.

Undo speedo cable, remove circlip, pull out drive taking care not to lose the drive quill, then clean out any grit etc from the circlip slot before reassembly. Getting the circlip to fit properly is really important. If you don't, the angle drive can move around and will either fall out or the large disk/washer which is spot welded to the drive will fatigue and break. Mine broke in half.

edited to add that AFAIK the angle drive is a Caterham part and not available from Ford who have the drive cable coming straight out of the box.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 26 Jul 2012 09:23:30

Burton Powrr do a specialy made one for 112 and I have seen another for half the price.

Ford today were unable to identify it as a type 9 part.

Mechanic today extracted circlip using a spike ground on the grinder. Hes looking at fixing the washer ba ck on.

THE Caterham part looks diferent to mine in the washer area

Edited by - anthonym on 26 Jul 2012 11:20:35