Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

fitting a rear anti roll bar

jackb_ms

Hello All

I have looked in the archive but unfortunately the linked I have found which should give explanation is not working.

So, does someone one has a "fitting" instructions or picture which shows how the rear anti roll bar fits on a 1996 chassis?

Cheers

Jack

Mine looks the same on a 1997 chassis.

I think the mounting blocks come apart via those bolts you can see and the drop links prise off - I think there may be circlips holding them on, but I can only vaguely remember from when I did it last time.

Getting the drop links off doesn't take long and is brute force, I'm hoping/assuming the mounting blocks are pretty easy, as I need to do this job soon.

What holes does everyone use for fast road and track?

Does stiffer = less understeer/more oversteer?

It doesn't take long to move the drop links on the bar once I've got the right spanners. I generally use the outer three holes, depending on wet track, dry track and how shagged my tyres are. Holes closer to the pivot = stiffer bar = more oversteer. I tried the innermost hole with very worn 185/60R13s on the back once. It was W I L D . Well, too wild for me. And that was before widetracking and putting the thinnest ARB on the front.

Thank you all

I have remove the back wheel of my car and i have 2 holes in the chassis rail which matches the size of the aluminium clamp. But I cannot see any holes like per Mankee's pictures.

On my 21 it looks like there is only an aluminium skin, where Mankee's clamp is fitted

What are the advantages of having the roll bar fitted as per Mankee's picture VS on the chassis rails?

Matt I may take on your kind offer, are you about this weekend

Thank for your help

Cheers

Jack

It fits over the rear rail that has the holes in it. Get yourself the aluminium clamp and some long bolts, as well as your rubbers for it, sling the rear arb over the bar and clamp down, then sling the arms below the rear hubs and the little arms up to the connection point . Don't set it too stiff to start with or you'll exacerbate the 21's natural tendency to lift of oversteer Put little balls in all the holes on the arb so you can adjust it to suit your driving style etc.

• Leadership Team

Quoting irrotational: 
Does stiffer = less understeer/more oversteer?
If only it were so simple! In VERY basic terms if you stiffen the rear anti roll bar it will reduce understeer, but it's combined with lots of other factors. One plus I've found is that with the car setup nicely for dry weather with the rear bar on either of the stiffer (forward) settings it's then relatively easy to soften it a little and play with tyre pressures for a wet track day and reduce the chances of stuffing the car backwards into something you don't want to! Very simplistic though!

Stu.

Hi Thank you for you kind offer

I think from Dave's description I should be ok and I have un earthed a copy of the 21 build manual.

On the 21 there is two position for the A frame to De Dion tube, confort and standard.

Mine is currently set on confort ( the highest one). If I move to the standard position, what would that do to the handling?

Jack

Yes I mean the radius arm

There where fitted on the highest point.

However it looks like it has been fitted in the past on the lower one, the only issue is that there is a broken bit of bolt in one of the threads... *cry* *mad*

Jack