Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the difference between ...

Laurence Wilson

… live axle / graduate roll bar equipped front suspension and a DeDion equipped car's front suspension? Would I be correct in assuming the upper wishbone is still different, despite no longer being formed in part by the roll bar as on older / standard live axle cars?

How about the chassis? Are the pickup points different, or could you conceivably fit wide track suspension to a Graduate car that has the full upper wishbones.

I've searched the archives several times before and asked questions in related topics; I've always received an answer that has satisfied my curiosity for a brief while but I still don't think I've got the complete picture *eek*! Which means despite well intentioned replies to my queries I'm still confused *confused*

Peardrop

A De-Dion upper wishbone is a single piece which you can 'replicate' on a Live car by adding the addition top link and different ARB.

The lower wishbone is also different in that the front mounting point is via a bolt in shear and on a Live car it hangs off of a lug welded to the chassis with a smaller bolt holding it in place, but in tension. They are not interchangable wishbones!

How to go about converting - don't know. I think it would almost certainly require chassis mods and practically all new front end parts - the upright won't fit the spherical bearing and the taper for the top link is different also ( I think)

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Thanks, Phil. That’s answered a question that's been bothering me for ages *thumbup*. I suspected half of what you said - I just haven’t been able to find a straight answer anywhere 😳!

Hoopy, cost is irrelevant as I was simply considering future options. Like I've said before, I've not even sat in a stationary Seven and am a long way from owning one 😬.

Peardrop