Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How is my Propshaft held together?

philwaters

Hi, car at home, me at work... type question *smile*

Can anyone tell me how my prop is held together? I am looking at getting it shortened and am getting quotes. I have been asked if the U/J is held on with circlips or staked? Does anyone know? I can't rmember seeing any clips, so I guess staked, which is more expensive I think.

Car is a 5sp live axle is that makes any difference.

Might crawl around under it tonight and take it off to have a look.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Thanks Hoopy, that's very kind offer. *biggrin*

I sent the tax off this morning, so it is not too much of a hardship to get under the car tonight and remove mine.

I was just wondering if anyone knew - maybe who have had flanges replaced/swapped - so I could let the comppany I am asking for a quote from know....

Phil Waters

Rack taking to bits was paused when i realised i couldn't get it to bits so i called titan for instructions, called raceline for more bits (some are destroyed when its disassembled).

All was going well last weekend when I realised that the bearing on the outside of the pinion was knackered. A new one is in the post as are a couple volunteered by Paul Jones.

So this week I'll press the bearing onto the pinion (easy with a suitable sized socket (15mm deep one) and a hammer. then its done.

Then I'll upload the pix and update the topic i started earlier.

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

hmm, on reflection, I am glad that I stopped when I did then. Might never have experianced the quick rack otherwise *smile*

Ok, for the record, propshaft is off (as is the Axle as someone bought it after only 4hrs of being for sale!). It appears that the U/J's are welded to the tube but the actual U/J has 4 circlips (2 per half IYSWIM). I assume this allows them to part the UJ and thus just fit a new 'half' suitable for my new axle (after cutting/shutting the prop tube).

So, looks like it is the 'cheap to modify' variety *thumbup*.

Phil Waters