Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road and race legal Radical SR3, price dropped

MartinP

Pistonheads advert with pics here

The car started life in October 2006 as a road legal vehicle with the following specification:

1300 cc Powertec Suzuki wet sump engine developing 205 bhp driving through a 6 speed sequential gearbox via a final drive unit combining a torque biasing LSD and reversing gear.

Options fitted include transmission oil pump and cooler, full width bi-plane race rear wing, wheel arch louvres, high downforce front diffuser, high downforce rear diffuser, brake bias adjuster, Le Mans mirrors, clear rear lights, footwell splash cover, SVA (as was) kit, additional tacho and gear display, seat inserts, tonneau and personalised numberplate.

It was in this form that EVO borrowed the car for use in their magazines 100th edition ten-fastest feature around Bedford Autodrome West Circuit, a competition that it won easily with the next fastest car being almost 2 seconds slower, see photo. It held the fastest lap from all-comers until the circuit layout was changed and a new competition started as a result.

I have owned the car for 5 years and a little while after acquiring it had Radical's engine supplier Powertec (now RPE) uprate the engine to 1500cc to give 257 bhp (by replacing the crankshaft and con rods) and their dry sump system was also fitted.

Apart from occasional road trips most of its life it has been used for trackdays but more recently it has been modified to comply with MSA regs to allow for racing.

It now benefits from having forward facing roll over bar stays, a manually operated fire extinguisher, uprated brake pads and cooling ducts, race silencer and transponder. It has only done a small number of races and the engine log shows that it has only acquired 9.5 hours since its last full engine / gearbox refresh.

At present the car is in race legal form but very minor changes are all that would be needed to put it back to road legal and the parts for this are available.

The car, as described is for sale at £23,000.

I also have a trailer bought specifically for the car and various spares as described:

The trailer is a 2007 Brian James A Max T-220; bed size, 4.3m x 1.96m with the following optional accessories:

Centre deck, high capacity jockey wheel, triple lock security tow hitch, long 2.4m integral loading ramps, 3 x 20 litre jerry can box, high level wheel rack and lockable wheel retaining cable, wheel chocks, manual winch, 4 off ratchet straps and a lockfast road wheel security bar.

Spares package includes:

Wheel tie down loops (4 off, car to trailer), Radicals 98dB quiet silencer and road legal silencer including cat, one set of wheels with Dunlop wets (Dunlop slicks currently on the car) and a set of well worn Dunlop Direzza road legal tyres, fuel sampling kit, 2 x battery connectors, long reach quick-lift jack, two centre-lock wheel nut sockets, road brake pads, 1300 cc crankshaft and con rods, wet-sumped sump and various sundries.

The car, trailer and spares together are for sale at £25,000.

I would not wish to sell the trailer or spares separately until the car is sold but would be open to offers after that time. Would be ideal for a CSR or SV, ETA that's the trailer not the spares *smile*

The car is also fitted with a Racelogic Video Vbox Lite. This is a combined GPS data logger and twin camera video system (details from the videovbox website) which also includes the added benefit of an OLED dashboard display and a 3.5 inch preview monitor to make camera setup easy. It comes with its original box and is available by separate negotiation. Again, it will be offered to the purchaser of the car first so will not be otherwise available until the car is sold.

Essentials •Mid-Engined •Naturally Aspirated •1.5 Litres •4 Cylinders

•257 BHP •Rear-Wheel-Drive •1 Previous Owner

The Detail •2006 •Manual •Petrol •Red

Mobile: 07780 688292

Edited by - MartinP on 19 Jul 2012 22:36:34

Edited by - MartinP on 22 Aug 2012 11:43:58

• 3 weeks later...

What Martin is too modest to mention is that the car won a race at Spa last year so its' pedigree is pretty darned good. It is also fastidiously well looked after and profesionally prepared and not the normal tired ex-racing hack that is sometimes sold.

Whoever buys it will be getting a pretty special machine.

Andy

Quoting Gridgway: 
Quoting MartinP: 
*wavey*

These cars are so well sorted they make a hero out of an incompetent - ask me how I know *wink*.

Can you get mine to do that for me please?

Struggling to think of a witty reply *smile*.

I suppose it assumes it all starts with an incompetent at the outset.

Alternatively it could be another sound recommendation for Neil Cox providing a well prepared car. 😬

Quoting Gridgway: 
what was the race in Spa? I'd love to race there!

It's the one we talked about last year in the paddock (forget which one) but at the time Jen had run out of hols I think. The idea was that if we could get three cars to go then it would work to have Neil along as support. Fabulous track to race on, as if I need to say *wink*, and the last I heard it was on again later this year. Let me know if you may be interested and I'll put some details together for you.

This years race: half hour qualy on Sat 13th Oct and 1 hour race on Sun 14th Oct, details http://www.race-at-spa.com/ and details of the race meeting itself http://www.racspa.be/ (choose your event: Racing Festival 2011). For the record, last years race was also in October and the weather was fantastic, not a cloud in the sky and the meeting featured the Dutch Supercar Challenge which was a site to behold in itself.

Haven't checked for this year but would expect a test day on the Friday before and if like last year a trackday on the Thursday before and probably the Monday and Tuesday following. Race National A licence required and not a lot else other than the confidence that your car has recently gone through scrutineering in the UK. Compulsory pitstop so either one or two drivers as you wish. Re-fuelling can be carried out if the car won't run a full hour without or you prefer not to run too heavy at the start, following similar rules as the Elise 1 hour race use for instance. Most of the detail on the above websites currently concerns the 2011 race as it is a bit early for this years race.

I've not been in touch with the race organiser Graham Walden for quite a while but if it is similar to last year he will be keen to get as many cars as possible to sign up as we were well under the complement that Spa can accomodate last year. Graham organises the TVR race series for all the ex Tuscan Challenge cars and basically has made a race with them as the nucleus to get the numbers started and once he has all the entries in decides on suitable classes within the race.

If anybody on here reading this is interested I'm sure he'd love to have a load of Caterhams along for instance. If you (or anybody else on here) wants an update for this years race let me know and I'll give him a ring. At which time it may be better to start another thread if there is general L7C interest.

• 2 weeks later...

PRICE DROPPED *eek*. This car has to go.

If you could measure performance against cost what units would you use? Grins / £?

Because at this price surely this car must be high up the scale. The combination of downforce, high g, friendly on limit handling, very late braking and that it makes you look like a hero to your passengers. You have to experience this at some time in your life so why put it off with such an opportunity?

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody fancy a passenger ride in a Radical SR3 around Castle Combe? There is no obligation to buy the car or even have an interest in buying as the event is for charity so the 5 laps are for sale on the day. Of course if you are interested in buying the car that would be even better *smile*.

The event is on Saturday 20th October this year and is in aid of the Stroke Association and it would be good to have some L7C folk along. Assuming it is the same as previous years there will also be an Autosolo course set up in the paddock and run by Bristol Motor Club which is ideal for 7 type cars, hot hatches or anything really and is great fun. It is also competitive cos they time your effort meaning you can try and better your own time or have a competition amongst your mates. Beware though cos it's moreish 😬.

If you have an interest post up here or drop me a blatmail and I'll send the details when they are published - soon I suppose.

Quoting Lambretta: 

Am I to understand that one could take this car and drive it to the shops or have I missed something?

Yes you could. It would need road tyres putting back on and a couple of small jobs and you're away. I drove it home when I first collected it for instance and there was no shortage of camera phones sticking out of car windows. Plus the guy who tried to race me round the inside lane of the roundabout *confused* ...... 😬.

Big discount opportunity.

I have negotiated a very attractive deal on a car I would like to replace the Radical with, either cash or taking the Radical as part exchange (where they would sell the car on). Problem is the offer for the Radical is derisory and is no doubt coming from a back-street opportunist who is looking to make a killing. I need the garage space to be able to go ahead so am encouraged to see if there may be an alternative solution. I have refused the part-ex offer because I have no intention of lining the pockets of businesses such as this. I would however be happy to sell to a club member at an opportunistic price if anybody may be interested. You know what it’s like when you’ve had a few test drives and dribbled over the options lists etc, you get sort of enthusiastic *eek*. So does anybody want to take advantage of the situation? I would be up for a significant discount on the advertised price given the circumstances. If there is no interest I will just back away from the deal and there’s nothing lost as I suppose I can get back to this situation again in the future. The time is ripe as they say.

If you would like to follow this up drop me a Blatmail and we can take it from there. Only one condition, no tyre kickers or time wasters please.