Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Installing 6-point race harnesses

Paul White

My 4 point harnesses are old and tired so I have just bought new 6 point race harnesses from Caterham.

How are the long bottom straps fixed? Are they bolted underneath the sholder strap fixings and just hang underneath the seat?

If so, is there an easy way of threading them through without taking the seats out (and therefore the roll cage off and rear suspension apart etc..)?

If anyone has any instructions or diagrams that would be good; there's no information of any use with the harnesses.

• Leadership Team

The 6 pointers are fitted by running a bolt through the tab at the bottom bulkhead chassis tube and through the floor. The gap between the 2 is around 1" and a spacer is used to fill the gap, along with the 6 point section of the harness. ie. bolt rough tab, through spaver tube, through harness, through floor, washer and nut underneath. All this is obviously x2 per side! Yes the seat needs to be removed, and if necessary the cage as well!

ETA, if you have lowered floors there's a longer spacer tube available.

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 18 Jul 2012 22:08:29

Quoting Paul White: 
Really?

I can't get my seats in or out with the cage in place unless there's some knack i don't know about?

What cage do you have? I can get my seat out with my double-D Roadsport cage fitted, but I have a low-back passenger seat which possibly gives me more room. I also have to take the tunnel cover off. But with enough jiggling to find the right sequence of positions for the seat, it comes out *thumbup*