Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure/gauge issue...?

Whisky 7

Hi all, 7 newbie with no tech knowledge 😳. Having an issue with oil pressure reading 4 bar when I start cold, just above red when warm. Occasionally, the needle seemed to jump around as if the needle was being knocked internally ☹️.

Utilising a (very) basic understanding (guessing) I believe it might be: a. sump baffle could do with a change (am hoping like hell it hasn't disintegrated, is there an easy way to tell?) or, b. oil pressure sender is iffy or, c. dodgy gauge. Praying that the oil pump hasn't gone, due to go in for a service in 2 weeks but need to get it there first...

Please help!

Peter K

Edited by - Whisky 7 on 17 Jul 2012 19:33:03

Usually the Sender.

Try a search in the archives as their is a mountain of info on this and the cure (fitting a mechanical OPG)

ETA I have all the part codes for the mechanical fix if you send me a BM. Cost about 50 quid all in

Edited by - Dignity on 17 Jul 2012 19:38:44

• Area Representative
Assume this is a K series car and if you search the archives you'll find lots of info about poor quality senders. They fail regularly and are problematic. 99% likely to be the cause.

Seach for MOPG (Mechanical oil pressure gauge), you will see plenty on the poor quality K series senders, cheaper to go mechanical and dead easy to fit.

Next is to search sump foam so you can get it removed on your service and drill in a couple of drain holes in the sump gasket.

Had exactly the same symptoms on my (1yr old) 1.4 k series oil gauge. Changed to mechanical pressure gauge and not been worried about oil pressure since. Only took half hour, cost around £35, well worth the trouble - there are numerous threads on how to do this.

Paul