Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What Engine Management System ?????

rjc

Engine died at the end of the Aintree trackday ☹️ ☹️. Many thanks to Phil for the trailer ride home. Thankfully it wasn't the suspected thrown cambelt - just engine management failure. The MBE 906 VVV box fitted as Original equipment was reprogrammed as part of a power upgrade and has never really worked well since. 🙆🏻

I thought that it was high time to buy an engine management system but with budget constraints in mind keep the 'webbbbbbers' and just go 3D. My engine is a VX with Swindon 215 kit.

However there are lots of systems. Emerald, DTA, Weber Alpha, MBE, Siemens, Lumenition... but to name a few. I'd be interested in any comments from people who have put engine management onto their cars. I'm having real trouble making up my mind. *confused*

Rowland

MBE 956 will be plug and play replacement for a 903 or 912. Not actually come across a 906 but it sounds to be similar gneration. If it is then the 956 will be loads better, much more adaptable, loads of extra features, mappable with a laptop, user configurable etc etc.

Changing to any other flavour of ECU will need a wiring rehash as MBE is different plug from most.

I'd give Steve at SBD a ring and have a chat about the options, he's on 0208 391 0121.

As much as i would suggest the DTa as fitted to my own vauxhall, your easiest and most cost effective change is as Graham suggest to change to the Mbe 956 ecu.

I,ve recently done this conversion on a friends car although that car used a 912v3, it may be worth checking the pin outs to confirm.

definatly go 3d mapped and if possible forget mapping on arolling road and get the engine mapped properly on an engine dyno.

Where are you so that we may try and recommend a reputable dyno in your area

Dave

Thanks for the advice, I'm in Formby nr Liverpool. The closest Caterham approved centre is Mr Noble in Sheffield who will do a DTA system for me.

MBVE have been less than helpful. I am not too keen on continuing the relationship with them. One of the problems I've got is that the MBE box is plumbed into the loom with obsolete fittings. I had tried to just upgrade the system but with no joy because the new boxes have different connectors.

As it seems I need to install a new loom, connectors and throttle sensor as well as the new box it seemed sensible to consider all the other options.

Rowland