Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rain damage to carbon fibre wings

prangerman

Like some others, the French rain at CLM has marked my CF front wings getting into the weave and leaving what looks like limescale marks.

I had a go this morning with some remaining RiF polish which didn't make much difference, and then with some non-silicone wood silk. That had some beneficial effect, but the main difference was to leave me with some very shiny limescale marks .

I think I'll try some Mer next, but could someone remind me which Mer product is meant to be good for CF? I can't find it on a BC search. Is it the bumper gel?

Peter (not really polishing. Well, OK, I'm polishing a bit..)

After a minor engine-out job, my 7 is back together and running, so I washed it today. The c/f appeared to have random milky spots all over the place! I applied some metal polish (good for ali as well, according to the label) as directed, and the c/f parts look good as new, or at least as good as they did before washing.

I used Blue Magic metal polish cream, which may or may not be readily available in your part of the world.

Thanks all.

BAZZA - I have given the wings a fair old amount of elbow grease already, but what did you use on the end of the fleshy protusions below your elbow to remove the offending marks? I presume you were rubbing something onto the CF.

Gary - I'll try the Turtle Wax approach as an substitute for the laquer protection that clearly isn't there when I have finally managed to clear the marks. (I hope Sue is recovering from the self-barbeque.)

Where's Mr Autoglm when you need his advice?

Peter

Peter

Peter,

I rubbed away using neat shampoo on a rag as I thought that it was the shampoo tha caused the problem. Then I applied wax over the top, it is still there but very faint, I will give it another go when I clean the car again and it should be o.k. I would not put Autoglym near it myself as it could dry white in the weave then you will have a nightmare *eek* Good luck.

Too late for some, but the "cure" is to have your c/f wings and other c/f parts clear-coated by a paint shop before installing them.

C/f is avery porous and moisture-absorbent fabric in its untreated state, and you will find that it will soak up four or five applications of clear-coat before you're done.

But once clear-coated, the c/f is impervious to moisture, can easily be waxed, and has a wonderful 3-dimensional depth to its appearance.

• Area Representative

Peter

My Caterham aerocreen and Rif rear light mounts were affected by the french rain, although the nosecone and front and rear wings were OK. *confused* I have used Maguires Scratch X(mild T Cut) and then Wood Silk and they look like new again. A fair amount of elbow grease is required to get the marks off. It seems to happen when there is heavy rain that leave latrge droplets on the car followed by strong sunshine(although I do not remember much of that ☹️) that bleaches the carbon 🤔 *thumbdown* I am perplexed as to why it only happens on some items on the car.

Nick

I had the same issues from CLM - did polish over the laquer using some AutoGlym and then a coat of they extra protection stuff.

It seems to have worked but there are still some signs of patchiness and the polish seems to have created some whiteness on the wings 🙆🏻. Will give it another go at the weekend..

Si