Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clarke tools.... any good?

YW Sin

I have purchased some Clarke sockets sets and two torque wrenches from Machine mart.

They were dirt cheap!

I was always told that nothing is more expensive than a cheap tool.

So now I am worried if they are any good?

*confused*

a ll standard 1.7 X-flow

Edited by - yw sin on 28 Oct 2002 19:59:46

Edited by - yw sin on 28 Oct 2002 20:00:37

I use a "cheap" Clarke torque wrench which I tested for accuracy against a much more expensive one and it worked perfectly.

Only problem (for me) is that it is not callibrated in ft lbs.

Other Clarke tools I have are fine.

Clarke tools are fine for the mainstream items, I have a lot of the "Professional" range from Machine Mart and I have been quite happy with the quality of the product.

I also have quite a lot of things like toolchests from them and again, at the top end of the range it all seems to be OK. The professional range has a cast iron guarantee as well so I'm not bothered if something is wrong, I'll just get them to come and collect it.

Don't worry, all but the cheapest tools from Clarke etc are pretty OK. Every so often you get one that's made of chocolate and it breaks, but c'est la vie. Better a full set of fairly cheap but reasonable quality tools which all fit than half a set of expnsive tools and not having the correct size, in my experience. You aren't using them 40 hours a week to earn a living so they won't wear out very quickly.

I was looking at some Facom torque wrenches before buying Clake.

They were something like, 120 £ ! *eek*.

Almost tempted to go for it as I thought I will most probably buy this thing only once in my life time.

But then I decided, that I am not going to making living out of it so..... *tongue*

~~~ standard 1.7 X-flow