Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear Damper Length

John Alston

My 1999 Supersport sits very close to the ground and is really too low for road use. As the front wishbones are also far from paralel to the ground, I want to adjust the suspension settings. This is easily done on the front as the dampers have adjustable seats, but on the back there are none. My question is, are there differing length rear dampers and if not, is it permissible to move the de-dion mounting from the 'under tube' mount to the 'through tube' mount? this would lift the rear and give me a starting point to set up the suspension. Thanks all you experts out there *biggrin*

I've got quite an old chassis (pre-96, combined front upper damper/wishbone rear mount) and I found that the rear damper lengths were different to the normal modern Bilsteins. I'm sure my rear dampers bolt though the deDion tube and I think the eye-to-eye lengths were 440mm for my dampers versus 475mm for the standard Bilsteins.

http://images12.fotki.com/v20/photos/8/42688/7812053/DSCF1622-vi.jpg

Can you not get some adjustable spring seats for the rear? There looks to be quite a large range of adjustment on them.

I assume your dampers look the same as the pic mankee posted but without the threaded part and different spring platforms, making them 'non adjustable'. However, I think it is possible to purchase the spring platforms and threaded sleeve on thier own to make them adjustable.

Just out of interest, what is your current sump clearance and chassis ride height? If you were to move the rear damper up to the 'through' dedion position I think this would give you an additional 30 / 35mm rear ride height. This must be complimented by moving the front by the same amount assuming your current rake is correct. Obviously this will overall raise the car by a huge amount and may have an effect on some other suspension settings such as camber.

Therefore, your proposed change will give you about 30mm extra sump clearance, which I think may be too much unless your car really is scraping along the ground all the time.

Hope that helps,

Andy

P.S feel free to blat mail me if you want to chat in any more detail.

Thanks for your comments guys.

The car ride height is currently 130mm front and 152mm rear with 65mm under the sump unloaded. So it is obviously quite a bit lower when I get my sylph like frame on board. On reflection, I agree with the thoughts that moving the lower rear damper fixing from below to the middle of the de-dion tube would be quite an excessive change. So looks like adjustable seats would be the best answer.

Thanks

Just to help you out with a few numbers. I normally aim for 75mm sump clearance with the drivers weight.

I also notice from your ride height figures that you have 22mm rake, you may want to consider reducing this to nearer 15mm when you alter the ride height.

Good luck

Andy

Bear in mind that the spring base suits on a circlip like ring. The ring clips around one of a series of grooves in the damper body. It may be that your circlip-like ring is on one of the lower grooves and this can be changed.

Just don't ask me which groove it's supposed to sit in!

Quoting millsn: 
Bear in mind that the spring base suits on a circlip like ring. The ring clips around one of a series of grooves in the damper body. It may be that your circlip-like ring is on one of the lower grooves and this can be changed.

Just don't ask me which groove it's supposed to sit in!

That's a good suggestion. I had the same problem with the rear dampers in my latest kit (set too high rather than too low, though). If your circlips are on the lowest setting, your next question is likely to be "how do I compress the spring so as to move the circlip?". Well, I use a couple of ratchet straps and a lot of care, especially when releasing them.

St John's, Woking
I bought my first house there, more years ago than I care to remember!

JV