Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series cylinder head weight+dimensions

Mankee

Hello. Bit of a random one and I can't find anything from a Google search. Someone from Greece is interested in my old K-series non-VVC complete cylinder head and I need to know the rough weight and dimensions for shipping. The head is 25 miles away, so I can't get to it easily until the weekend.

Has anyone got any sizings for me or can weigh one for an estimate? That's you DVA, AB! *wink*

Cheers.

• Leadership Team

I have a spare vhpd head sat on my bench - I can measure it and weigh it later today if it helps? Do you want just the head and valves, or with cams and followers? With cam cover?

Stu.

Hi Stu. Yes, that would be very helpful thanks! It's a complete head I have, i.e. head, valves, springs, lifters and cams. But no cam cover, pulleys or belt covers.

PS. A "spare" VHPD head?! Well jel! 🥰

Hi Mankee,

I can weigh various combinations, including a 15 1/2 valve "special", a very skimmed

standard head and a soon to be removed VVC.

If buyer is in Crete and Mrs B doesn't mind/notice a cylinder head in the suitcase,

could deliver next week 😬

AB

• Leadership Team

Max Length: 48cm (effectively the cam length including dizzy drive)

Max Width: 21.5cm

Height: 16cm (allowing for any valves sticking out!)

Weight: 16.10kg (not really hand luggage territory *tongue*)

Stu.

Thanks for that chaps. It's heavier than I thought it was going to be. The shipping cost will probably put the bloke off from buying it to be honest, but you never know. Almost a good excuse to chuck it in a suitcase along with some shorts and T-shirts and go on holiday again...

Les, I did manage to flog all my VVC bits from this, my second, VVC 160 engine. I just wanted it all gone fuss-free, so sold the cams, pulleys, mechanisms, HCU, control shaft and even both belts on eBay for just over £60 plus postage. Probably would have gotten a lot more if I waited for the right person, but just wanted to be left with the block and head so that I could crack on.

eBay would definitely be worth a shot, especially if it's a free listing weekend. Also worth looking on http://forums.mg-rover.org/ in the wanted section in case someone is after those bits.

Good luck! *smile*

PS. You'll get loads of enquiries about the VVC exhaust cam, whether you have two of them and if you'll ship them to . *wink*

Well, as the engine only cost me £73 + carriage, I'd be quite happy with £60 + carriage for the vvc mech!

Is there any 'procedure' for the dismantling/removal at all? I don't want to mess up a potential sale by being an enthusiastic amateur/nitwit 😬

Bloody hell. You got a billy bargain there then! I'd try and keep the inlet cams attached to the VVC mechanisms if possible, as they can be a bit of a bugger when the collars inside the mechs fall out and they go all out of sync.

It does appear a bargain at the moment; we'll only really know when we lift the head off won't we lol?

Oily has a vhpd head of mine, and i'm just gearing up for a 1800 conversion to my 1.6 ss. I'm looking for more torque for the sprints/hillclimbs, not rev-to-the-max bhp, more useable power. I'm being out-gunned by duratechs in home-built specials at the moment, but also learning rwd at the same time! *thumbup*