Click here if you are having website access problems ×

bdr hpc rebuild,original or uprated?

N Blandin

OK,I've stuffed my hpc(should have taken the test).Do I re-build the front suspension with the original half top wishbone set up (1990) or go to double wishbone or even wide track?

Does originality count these days on a quite rare Caterham. Do the new set ups make that much difference for the road and occaisonal track day?

Also ,would changing the front mean having to change the rear.

I am pulling the whole thing to bits whilst I repair it so I might as well set it up properly as a whole.

Ideas please 🤔

Hi Nigel

I fully appreciate your position, having a very rare and desirable car.

I would suggest that the wide track, with Caterham uprights makes a significant difference. The wide track brings the front and rear track in-line

I changed the dampers at the same time ( 1990 X-flow ) . The wide track and R500 will fit on fit on very neatly - do you have the two holes in the side of the car for 1990 hybrid suspension or the slightly earlier single arm and anti-roll bar link ?

If you do change Nitron and other suppliers are well versed in building dampers for 1990 wide track.

Best regards

Anthony

X-Flow-power; the real way forward

Hi Nigel

Well I fitted the 1991 suspension upgrade to the Vauxhall race spec almost as soon as it was available. The handling was a mega improvement. I not sure how you price yours as a 10 year old car seems to me its buyers choice. I have now moved on to Freestyle, again big improvement now I have the settings sorted... better still not perfect. I have also added a quick rack.... this is great.

Very little of my car is 1988 spec but bits wear out if your going to replace them and pay out lots of money seems to me getting the best driving experiance for your money is the way to go.

Personally I doubt having a pure 1990 spec increases the value. It might in the tin top world but not in our world. Fastest handling, more and well engineered power seems to be what we all want. If you keep the car 20 years may be a original would offer a better return then again the early pure Lotus do not seem to command high values. One raced by Colin Chapman is a different matter or one of the first say 10 cars.

Next long term project for me. When I get round to having a bigger garage built hopefully next Spring I am going to strip the car, have the chassis de-rusted and the car re-panelled the following Winter (2003). Also the frame will get up-rated to fit the true later front wishbones rather than the half way house I have now, the rear may also go the same way.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Edited by - bilbo on 28 Oct 2002 21:55:45