Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rollcage Questions

cskip

Richard's accident has started me to think that a rollcage is a wise addition to my car. I have no knowledge on this topic, so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. The car is a 94 Live Axle. Questions:

From a quick look through the archives, Live Axle Cage appear to be like hens teeth. Is this correct? Who originally made the Live Axle Cages?

Does anyone have a photo of the Live Axle Cage?

How high is the Live Axle Cage? (I currently run a tall FIA bar, due to my height)

Am I correct in assuming there is only one "style" of Live Axle Cage?

Has anyone tried to fit a later style cage to a Live Axle car? (I assume that the car would have to go to Arch for addition of pick-up points?) Is this even possible?

How do I establish if my car already has the pick-up points for a Cage?

I am sure there are more questions to follow.....

Edited by - cskip on 6 Jul 2012 13:00:55

Subject to someone coming along who actually knows what they are talking about in terms of LA cars *smile* it might be worth giving Caged a call (01373 452866)

You may be able to find a suitable 2nd hand cage on BC. But failing that I'm sure Caged can make one for you (??). Regarding the cage mounts on a LA car, sorry, I don't know.

fwiw - I had a one-off roll cage made for my Roadsport by Caged, as I wanted it to be 7cm taller than standard at the rear, due to my height. They made it in a few weeks and delivered mail order. It took me less than 2 hours to take the old cage off and fit the new one.

'Safety devices' made the original cages, although 'caged' have made them too. You'll be interested to hear that Safety Devices made them in standard and tall guizes- I am fortunate to have acquired a standard cage for £225 in 2010, and more fortunate still to have been able to swap it for someone else's tall cage!

There's a couple of pictures of my car with tall cage here.

As you say, they are rare now, and I assure you that you're not the only person actively loking for one!

The going rate for a new cage by 'Caged' is in the region of £700+ but the 'Caged' design is a sexy looking cage...

Clive,

Adrian Williams did an article for Low Flying last summer (or was it the summer before ☹️) about cages, which had alot of usefull information in, particularly for you tall people. It might be worth looking back through your Low Flyings or in the article archive.

Lynn

Clive, later cages in full SLR style were made for Live Axle Fireblades if you are not bothered about ever having a full windscreen. Think they were 'Caged' so sure they have a buck for the pick up points as a variant on the Dedion model (or they'll need your car).

I don't fit in a standard car with 'Safety Devices' Roadsport cage and would still be marginal with lowered floor. My Tall cage (DeDion equivalent of what James has) utilises the Dashboard flange and big bolt through bosses on the front edge of the sills (may have to drill a few rivets and peel back internal skin to find out if you have them). Quick way I understand to identify a Live Axle rather than DeDion Roadsport cage is there will be double (X) rather than single diagonal behind you.

Chris's Custom 'caged' Roadsport cage is one of best solutions I've seen (retaining Windscreen capability) though I was amazed to get into a Fireblade with SLR cage (standard floors) and be very comfortably away from any of the ironmongery.

Poor design of all the early Roadsport cages is the bar almost directly above your head, later Academy cages curved these outboard and then moved to the Double D arrangement.

I am pretty sure the McFarlanes had a custom cage fitted to there LA car, via caged, ala the SLR design but taller ISTR *thumbup* best bet to give caged a call I guess

*thumbup* *thumbup*to a cage, pretty sure it saved me from a lot of pain at Llys-y-fran...

rob *thumbup*

Clive

Probably worth a drive up to caged in the Caterham. It's not far from us and a nice drive if you go the back way. They fitted my SLR cage after my Wiscombe crash. If you take the car then they can look and measure and make you exactly what you want. Pop back up there and they'll fit it for you, and if you haven't got mounts, they'll braise them in there and then. Top guys

Well i've got quote's back,

Safety devices no longer manufacture a standard live axle cage so would be a bespoke one from £1,800 plus vat.

Caged advise they have to build the cage onto the car and will be £1000 + VAT and will need the car for a couple of day's.

Please note this is for a tall cage so a standard cage might be slightly different.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 9 Jul 2012 18:03:08