Click here if you are having website access problems ×

test

Fred

If one is typing in the correct way, one types thus: two spaces should be allowed between a full stop and the next sentence. When using other punctuation mid-sentence, there is only the one space.

FH *wink*

Mav, you just sent me an e-mail with an attachment. As I didn't know what it was, it went the way of all 'unsolicited mail' *tongue* .... sorry 😳

Affect/effect - often confused and to save getting too technical, affect is usually a verb: "Owning a Se7en won't affect our chances of arriving in Cambridge." Effect is usually a noun: "Owning a Se7en will have no effect on our chances of arriving in Cambridge.

One can effect the withdrawal of all Se7ens from Cambridge but this is normally only used by pedants such as FH and Noger, using the term for effect, because we have a propensity for affectations 😳

Mav, it's only been dumped in the OE waste bin, so I'll go and rescue it *eek* Ta *tongue*

Edited by - fullharness on 28 Oct 2002 21:40:00

Q. What is the longest word in the dictionary?

A. It depends...

It might be 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' (which appears in the Oxford English Dictionary), unless you want to count names of diseases (such as 'pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis', defined by the OED as "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust' but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word"), places (such as 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch', a village in Wales; see the Web site, which has an audio pronunciation of the word), chemical compounds (apparently there is one that is 1,913 letters long), and also a few words found only in Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

Other words famous for being sesquipedalian:

antidisestablishmentarianism ("opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England")

floccinaucinihilipilification

honorificabilitudinitatibus (Which appears in Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost, and which has been cited as [dubious] evidence that Francis Bacon wrote Shakespeare's plays)

Or perhaps smiles is the longest word, because there's a mile between the first letter and the last.

FH

*eek* *eek*

On the other hand it could be one of those silly questions *tongue* 😳 *wink* *wink* *wink* *wink*

Sorry about your lack of TV ☹️ Personally, I'd rather read or Blatchat - there's little on TV nowadays with any decent content *mad*

FH

Hoopy, you're interrupting me talking to myself *tongue*

"Parsec is also fast, doing thousands of lines per second on todays machines, which might make it an acceptable alternative to bottom-up parser generators like Hoopy"

Edited by - fullharness on 28 Oct 2002 22:19:35

Well,

1. Bringing not one but two golden retrievers means no Se7en ☹️ we'd have to come in the company truck instead 😳

2. Do you realise that golden retrievers lurve sossiges 🤔

=

3. No sossiges for Hoopy *eek* 😬

. . not a plan *thumbdown*

Next suggestion please *wink*

Edited by - fullharness on 28 Oct 2002 23:22:39

CAM7 is the wibble equivalant of a dog sticking it's head out of the window of a Ferrari Enzo at full speed *smile*

There is gentler wibble here.

Ahg dogs. We have 4 spaniels (1 is ours, others are his mates) staying on Nov 2nd/3rd, so wouldn't mind two more, although Brockham is a fair way from Sossige place.

The longest word in The Oxford English Dictionary....is "Dictionary" !

What is the longest word you can make out of just the top row of a typerwiter keyboard ?

I asked Jeeves and he told me that the longest word you can make from the top row of letters on the keyboard is typewriter *eek*!

If you wish to refrain from repeating any letters then you still have piroque, poutier and wipeout.

Piroque is a Cajun French word for a dug out canoe (I'm clutching at straws here FH!). Poutier I'm not quite sure should even be a word - although it seems www.lip-plumper-online.com use it to describe results after just one week

Interesting.

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 29 Oct 2002 10:58:04