Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine cut out

Gary Stone

I had my engine just cut out suddenly today. As I applied a bit of throttle exiting a roundabout it it gave no power & instantly went dead.

Turns out to have blown the fuel pump fuse. Replaced fuse & all seems fine but I'm a bit concerned as to why that fuse blew in the first place & whether something else is a miss & it will happen again.

Any ideas please..

Gary, if I were you I'd feel the same. My guess is that something is loose somewhere and shorting out on tight right handers. The fuel pump line runs from the inertia switch down the tunnel to the fuel tank. Try putting the car on stands then turn on the ignition amd lie under it wiggling the wire wherever you can grab it...

• Leadership Team

Gary, I had the same problem which repeated itself randomly. Traced it to a bad connection at the inertia switch which had been bodged before I bought the car. Fitted a new connector to the plug (using the correct tool!) and all was fine.

Stu.

Check you haven't got a short around the speedo sendor if it's a sensor that reads off the toothed cog by the wheel.

This is a known problem, and race cars are now allowed to run without the speedo to prevent this happening. I think it's been cured in later cars with a change to the loom. Mine's a 2008.

Jez

• Area Representative

Gary

If you have a SLR wiring diagram bring that with you and if it happens en route at least we have a chance of finding the problem. I will bring a multimeter just in case.

Nick

the original fuse was underrated and was renowned for blowing after a while. 20 A was recommended as the replacement for the carb Facet pump but maybe the injection needs a little more. I run my swirl pot setup with two pumps on a 25A fuse. High enough not to blow whilst still protecting the wiring in the event of a fault.

*arrowup*Yes.. I was told the same yesterday by James Whiting. I phoned every one I know yesterday in my quest to try & sort problem before I go to Classic Le Mans tomorrow.

15amp still seems to fine at mo. *thumbup* but have 20amp at the ready. *smile*