Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where's my gearbox filler plug?

Dirty Den

Gearbox is a 4 speeder, fitted to a 1600 xflow. I assume that the plug I can see by looking at the engine bay from the nearside, towards the bottom of the box is the drain plug? I can't see a filler plug though.. 😳 *confused*

On a related topic, what size allen keys will I need to undo the drain plug and filler plug? Also, the build guide says to use EP80 oil, so I assume Comma EP80 will be OK?

Thanks,

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

I have a 4 speed gear box too.

I noticed that the oil filler plug can be seen from under the car, on the passenger side. I believe that you need a "L" shaped 10mm square key to open it up. (do excuse me if I am wrong)

The plug is placed on the side wa ll of the gear box between the tunnel.

I am not sure about which oil to use. I am also looking for one. 😬

Ah, also you may be needing some thing to "pump up" the oil into the gear box.

a ll standard 1.7 X-flow

Edited by - yw sin on 27 Oct 2002 14:08:19

Den,

You only have the one filler plug on the side of the box-there is no drain plug.

To undo it you need to cut down a short stub from a 10mm Allen key and the easiest way to manipulate it is with a 10mm ratchet spanner from Halfraud's.

Oil is best added through a plastic tube and funnel.

Paul

You only have the one filler plug on the side of the box-there is no drain plug

Paul,

Ok, so I'm a bit ignorant here, but how do I get the old stuff out then? Is it simply through a process of filling it up with new oil, that the old oil is forced out?

Den

Den,

It's not usually necessary to change the gearbox oil. It doesn't suffer from the same levels of heat stress, contamination etc. as the engine oil.

In practice, all you need do is check it occasionally, and if necessary (usually not) top it up.

If you ever take out the engine and gearbox, you'll find that it has an 'automatic drain system' onto your garage floor. At that stage you can go the whole hog and tip all the oil out if you want, and then refill when the engine/box is back in the car.

Paul

Paul,

How occasiona lly is this occasiona lly? I haven't checked the gear box oil level since I got the car 2500 miles ago. Is it about time?. The car has 8800 miles on the clock.

By the way, what is the difference between LS80 and EP80 oil? I have been looking for EP80 in France where I am living but couldn't spot. Only LS80 is available. I prosume it is the same stuff???

~~~ standard 1.7 X-flow

Edited by - yw sin on 27 Oct 2002 19:39:00

Edited by - yw sin on 27 Oct 2002 19:49:54

Best way to top up the gearbox level, is to remove the top cover, the you can inspect the syncros/ gears for wear. Also far more accurate, as the car will be level. Remember that all oils deteriate with age and not just milage. Best way to remove old oil is with a syringe, about £10 from most good motor factors.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Instead of attempting to cut down an allen key, find a short 10mm bolt and screw 2 10mm nuts locked at the appropriate point to allow manipulation, I can endorse the ratchet spanner requirement. I wish I had one at the time I needed it. 😬

Tom

Thanks Phil (I think?) *tongue* This is what happens when I haven't got you to hold my hand... *eek* *wink*

I was confused because I've been reading a book on basic car mechanics. When explaining how to change the oil, it says:

2. Find the drain plug at the lowest point on one side of the manual transmission. Place the drain pan underneath it to catch the two to four quarts of lubricant that will drain from it. Use a wrench (it's an American book *eek*) to turn the drain plug counterclockwise and remove the plug. After gravity has done its job, replace the drain plug.

3. Find the fil/level plug located above the drain plug on the side of the manual transmission. Remove the fill/level plug as you did the drain plug. Following the manufacturer's recommendations, fill the manual transmission with lubricant until it begins to flow out of the fill hole.

Den