Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque Wrench Bottom End?

DrivRich

I have just ordered my Roadsport and am getting tooled up 😬

Millwood told me not to bother with the 200lb torque wrench as they would do that bit for me, but I still need to take care of the rest. I took a quick look at a manual which I am pretty sure said I have to tighten some of the nuts to 3lb ft.

A trip to Halfrauds found that that they sell a 8 to 60 NM ( £49.99) which equates to 6 lb ft at the bottom end.

So do I really need to find one which starts at 3 lb ft 🤔

What is the advice on this please 🤔 Is the Halfrauds good value 🤔

Cheers for your help.

David

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink*

Will Own a 7 😬

3lb/ft is so light it could be described as simply "tighten without stripping any threads by being an idiot and leaning on the spanner hard"

200lb/ft is the opposite of the above really *smile*

Get a decentish torque wrench that covers the range in between. Don't do what I did and buy one that isn't graded in lb/ft and send up having to learn to conversions all the time - it's a real pain. N/m anyone *confused*

If you live anywhere near Guildford or Chalfont St Peter where I work you can borrow my 300 ft lb wrench and socket to do the rear hub nuts. It needs two of you though, one to work the wrench and the other to stand on the brakes!

I would think that 3 ft lbs is only a bit more than finger tight. Think of hanging a 3 lb weight on the end of a 1 ft spanner.

Thank you everyone *thumbup*

I shall buy the Halfords one that starts at 6 lb ft and cuff the odd 3 lb ft that might turn up *wink* Thats a bag of sugar at 41 cm

Thanks for the kind offer Paul, but I am in Bristol and Milwood is only 15 miles away and they will lend me the big one for the hubs.

Cheers,

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink*

Will Own a 7 😬

Edited by - drivrich on 27 Oct 2002 18:27:33

for the rear hub nuts do the following:

weight yourself.

then 250 ft lbs divided by your weight = the number of feet from the rear hub you stand on the bar.

make sure you get this right, one builder (who knows who he is *wink* had 3 people standing on the bar and stripped the thread - the estimate is 800 ft lbs!

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

A click type torque wrench is inappropriate for very low values. If you have applied tightening pressure slightly off axis, you will strip the threads before it clicks. For low values a spring type is best, but 99.9% of people just tighten as feels appropriate.

Top tip for smaller threads is to use a small (length, duh!) spanner/socket handle which makes you much more sensitive to the force applied. Either that or hold a big spanner/socket handle up close to the bolt head.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 28 Oct 2002 09:31:06

Back in my moped days >reels with a wave of nostalgia<... being too skint to buy a torque wrench i did the of me on bar="x" kg x ft calc. thread snapped yet sure my maths were ok src="images/smilies/confused.gif" alt="confused smiley" class="confused">

These days I can simulate the same torque wrench with a bar only 220mm long 😳

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️