Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR handling

yankeedoodoo

Met a guy saturday with a CSR260. Beautiful car and he wanted to learn to drive it better. Had a gent with 30 years experience racing 7s ride with him and drive the car. When exiting corners the car had terminal understeer under hard, not even full, acceleration.

I'm guessing that this is how the factory stets up the cars to hold down thw lawsuits

What might a fella do if he wanted to make the car perform to its potential? Who might peddle such bits and pieces? Is this a common complaint with these top of the line cars? Sheesh! Seems like the factory could offer a better setup with adjustable shocks and collect even more cash from the buyer.....

Thankfully, we have after market suppliers!

No that is not right. My CSR handled well out of the box on the correct UK factory settings applied by Caterham USA through a 4 wheel alignment process. So it is not a lawsuit prevention thing. I think it was either not set up by Caterham USA or someone has been trying to set up the car without the right settings. Most likely it was not built by Caterham USA?

Set up specs from Caterham UK used by Caterham USA for CSR260s are a PDF attachment halfway down my build thread page here. They can also set it up with lower ride heights if you are not on the road much.

If he wants another CSR260 owner to talk to blatmail me. There are only 9-10 of us in the US.

Edited by - Croc on 26 Jun 2012 10:34:37

I would certainly agree with Steve and Croc, the CSR when set up to the factory spec. understeers less than most of the other Seven variants. I was very surprised just how neutral it was when I first took mine onto a track and pushed it in anger [so to speak], very surprised and pleased too.

Tell the owner to get the car set up properly by an experienced chassis tuner with the right equipment and the experience to use it, and he will be even more pleased with it. 😬

Paul

Hi,

with the Avon CR500 195/45-15 tyres in front, I found out that to much tyre pressure leads to understeer.

And you have to consider that on track under heavy driving the tyre become warmer and the pressure is also higher....maybe a point to think about.