Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

POBC X/Flow Query

Johnty Lyons

• Area Representative

The factory springs came from Bic.

One of the best upgrades I made to my car was fitting Freestyle springs all round. Unfortunately Gary was quite secretive about his spring rates but I do recall him telling me that they were a *lot* stiffer. Oddly enough the car rode better after the swap as the dampers were then merely damping, and leaving shock absorption to the springs. Dampers are not (or at least should not be) shock absorbers! Turning up the adjusters may mask the spring problem but the ride will be horribly choppy, and most probably far too low when laden.

That doesn't exactly answer your question Johnty but I hope it points towards a solution. It sounds like Redline can do what Freestyle did for me all those years ago *thumbup*

Cruds

The only thing I remember from when my 1988 live axled crossflow car had some work done was the springs were a bu**er to get off, as they are very long and so were compressed quite a bit to get on. The coils were also very close together and it was difficult (OK, impossible) to get a coil spring compressor on them. ISTR the spring rate was quite low but can't recall any numbers.

Andy

If its similar to my 87 dedion then the poundage of the springs (also on Spax adjustables) is much lower that the current springs (by about 40 or 50%). Mine also went down quite a bit when you got in the car and was really low with 2 on board but it all worked well and with the shocks stiffened up it worked well on track. I later fitted stiffer springs to the Spax which reduced suspension movement and bottoming out. I then changed to the Freestyle AVO setup which works well.